Reckless paving in Hoboken?
Poor Hoboken paving management – potential dog hazards
As we mentioned the other day – A couple streets in Hoboken are getting
band-aided paved. While this is fine and dandy – several residents who own dogs, felt that the jobs were poorly managed.
In some spots, contractors had laid down hot tar, but no personnel or signage were present. Not warning pedestrians, or even closing the sidewalks in these areas presented a very hazardous circumstance for dogs especially. Because coal tar contains Phenol – which is toxic to the animals. One resident said tar got in their dog’s paws, and they had spend hours cutting the hair off, and cleaning them with mineral oil and soap.
While common sense and a little observational skill should lead you away from dangerous conditions like this, the several days of “grooved” pavement due to weather delays apparently made it difficult to tell that the road surface had the tar on it.
It’s a shame that this project wasn’t handled with more care and precautions.