Hoboken Health Corner: August 2011
Exercising in Hoboken
By Leslie Goldstein, RD
Summer can help motivate people to exercise. How active have you been this summer? If you have spent one too many nights at Charrito’s having margaritas or beers, now is the perfect time to jump-start your exercise routine.
Why exercise, besides the obvious of fitting into that bikini? New research shows that exercising for only 15 minutes each day can increase your life span by 3 years!
Other benefits of exercise?
- Weight Management
- Prevent health problems-stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, cancer
- Improve your mood by increasing endorphins in the brain (hormones that make you feel good!)
- Aids in better sleep at night
- Increases energy levels by delivering oxygen and nutrients in the body
Exercise doesn’t have to be drab and boring; It can be fun!
- Take a walk with a friend or a dog!
- Try an exercise class – signing up will not only motivate you to attend but it will add diversity to your workouts
- Try a trainer for a few sessions to learn some new techniques
- Sports – tennis, baseball, basketball all increase your heart rate
- No time for exercise? Try to move around while doing housework, chores such as mowing the lawn, vacuuming, dusting and even cooking while standing can burn calories!
How often do you take advantage of all the options in Hoboken?
- Free classes at Pier A Park throughout the summer and early fall
- Take a walk on the waterfront! From 1st to 14th and back is over 2 miles
- Join a Zog Sports league – a variety of team co-ed sports including kickball, volleyball, soccer, basketball and football.
- Local gyms with fitness/yoga/pilates classes: *Some gyms will give you a free trial session before you sign up*
- LA Boxing, ClubKO, Hudson Athletic Club, Hoboken Club H, New York Sports Club or Local Barre (classes using a ballet bar – something different!)
- Sign up for a 5K run in Hoboken to motivate yourself to train! Check Hoboken411 for info on the next one in town.
- Tennis courts in Columbus Park (Clinton Street between 9th and 10th). Hoboken residents also have access to the public courts in North Bergen at North Braddock Park
Hiking trails in the area, find a trail that fits your needs
About Leslie Goldstein, RD
Leslie Goldstein is a Registered Dietitian (RD) practicing in North Bergen and Hoboken, New Jersey. Leslie is an avid exerciser who combines her nutrition knowledge and passion with motivational support in counseling to help her clients make lifestyle changes. Leslie specializes in weight management, general wellness, Diabetes, bariatric surgery, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. Leslie accepts most major insurances. www.healthystepnutrition.com 8100 Kennedy Blvd. North Bergen, NJ 07047 Ph: 201-378-3287 Email: LeslieGoldsteinRD@gmail.com