Hoboken Week in Review – 5/20/2007
Why can’t we have fun politicians in Hoboken like they do in Canada?
Here are some highlights from the entries of the past week.
Feel free to send tips, rants, comments, crazy ideas, wacky photos, bottles of Shiraz, kisses and smacks to: Hoboken411@gmail.com.
News, items of importance:
- Runoff elections are June 12th – For the 4th, 5th, and 6th wards. Please don’t let your opportunity to make a difference go to waste.
- Going down – Can I get my engineering degree at a correspondence school?
- 4th Ward – Rumors everywhere, but I’ve decided not to take part.
- Council Meeting – A recap of our bi-weekly meeting of the “minds”.
- SW-Redo – A technicality forces the SW plan to be re-started. Some council people think it’s a moot point.
- Waaaaah! – A simple baby show-off parade causes some debate.
- Shaken, not stirred – A fun networking event planned for next week. Sign up today!
- Relay for Life – An event for a good cause.
- Hoboken is the next Tribeca? – Interesting to see if Hoboken will be known as an international force in the movie industry.
New, Updated or Coming Soon:
- Can-do or Con-do? – A long vacant historical building creates controversy with pending condos and a restaurant coming.
- Lexing-ton or Lexa-pro? – Another seemingly fair luxury rental project takes parking spots away and causes some readers anxiety.
- Cluck U – The Chicken “Crib” gets an “Urban” name makeover.
- Drug Store – CVS set to open uptown on May 21st.
- Water Park – Madison Park set to open up this week. The ground is spongy.
- Bloomy – A new flower shop coming to make the neighborhood at 5th and Garden smell better.
- Tick Tock – A corner general store could have opened months ago. Instead it remains un-occupied.
- Behemoth Project – The super-popular Maxwell Place project (along with rumored celebrity tenants) chugs along.
- Doom has been quiet lately. Should we start a pool?
- Four times at Four L’s – 411 really enjoyed the food and the impeccable delivery service at a new restaurant. Let’s hope they don’t slack.
Fun, Games and Miscellaneous stuff:
- Another fruity photo quiz – May have to make this more challenging in the future.
- Retro – A simple posting of someone else’s YouTube video makes some Hobokenites annoyed. Hey, just trying to have some fun here!.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Anger – Seems like the warmer weather brings cold attitudes.
Recent Town Incidents:
- Incident Map – Reminder: I thought by providing the free streaming “podcast” of the LIVE police and fire scanner, more people would be willing to send in little reports to help populate the map. Plan isn’t working! I may have to discontinue this (much to the delight of the HPD).