Reporter Roundup – 5/14/2007
Continuing the ongoing series, here are some highlights from the 5/13/2007 edition of our local paper, The Hoboken Reporter.
Only a quick recap today, and I’ll start by asking one simple question (and I won’t be upset with the results):
Does this website (Hoboken411) have any impact whatsoever in Hoboken? And in the comments section, I’d appreciate if you answer “Yes”, how come? What are some examples? If “No”, why not? Some constructive feedback is always welcome.
- Election recap: Fairly straightforward coverage of the three winning wards, and the three runoffs on June 12th.
- “Where’s the pool and cave?”: What appears to be a purely political stunt in my opinion, council members lash out at Dave Roberts and some of the failed projects in town. While it seems that Roberts had explanations for why they’ve taken so long, it might be prudent of him to be pro-active in the future and publish why these things are taking forever before people bust his balls. He can watch Eminem’s “8 Mile” to get inspired how to beat the attacks. I really believe 411 (and our community base) feeds ideas to these council people.
- “Poop Perpetrators”: This really gets my goat. While it was the original letters back a few months ago that inspired me to come up with the “Poop Offender Zone”, why is it that there is ZERO mention of that in the Reporter? We all know where they got the idea from, is it that hard to give a little credit where credit is due?. The Council people didn’t dream this concept up, and you know it. If this site didn’t exist, that article would have never been written. My $0.02.
- A bunch more political articles that I don’t want to get into (although one photo I swore was a clay-mation character), along with a nice mention about the Relay For Life program, as well as “proclamation” for “meatloaf lady’s” 95th birthday (you get noticed if you send free food to City Hall every week).
- Not going to mention any advertisements, however something about the ad on page 3 caught my eye!
Letters to the Editor
- I was going to analyze the letter to the editor from Chris Campos, but 411 reader “chicagofinance” already took the liberty to take the words out of my mouth. I’ll add on that I also have “faith” and “optimism” that I’ll win the lottery, but that never happens either. You can read more poignant observations of Mr. Campos’ obvious short-comings and retardation in the comments section of this entry. If people want this blabbering buffoon who thinks knowing a few multi-syllable words automatically qualifies him as a good leader, then the 4th Ward is in big trouble for sure.
- Another reader writes in about Mr. Campos saying “under Campos’ leadership [blah blah blah]”, which is nonsense, because his actual honest and sole accomplishments are very far and few between in the past 6 years. Only now that he’s facing contention for his seat is he putting on this show that he’s really doing something. I’d like to know what favors he did for this guy who wrote the letter.
Lastly, the reporter publishes a
letterpoem from Ms. Baecker, who is so grateful that there is a (heavily selective) letters to the editor section. Let’s be honest, that is not a real forum. With 80% of their circulation ending up unread and in the trash, this site reaches many more eyeballs in Hoboken, and is a much more open forum than that. Who are they kidding? I’m ready to give up.
Would anyone else like to offer their Hoboken Reporter observations for the next month or so? I may be a little unfair myself lately, and would appreciate a fresh and different perspective on our local
bird cage lining newspaper. Please let me know if you’d like to contribute. I had a willing contributor (“Hoboken Interloper”), but he seems very busy these days.