Hoboken Week(s) in Review – 4/1/2007
This is a recap of what’s been going on in Hoboken in the past two weeks.
Since the ill-timed server upgrade last weekend lot’s of stuff has happened! Mayoral fights, firings, council races heating up, PATH train derailments, and much much more. So here’s your Super-Sized recap.
Send tips, comments, suggestions, stories, hate-mail, love-letters, cease and desist letters, snacks, winning lotto numbers and pictures to: Hoboken411@gmail.com.
If you’d like to volunteer a story or gripe about Hoboken, please feel free to submit them!
News, items of importance:
- Fist-a-Cuffs – The big story was this alleged fight with our town leader. It’s unlikely it was about who gets the corner office.
- Slummy – The facts dribble out about a historically bad landlord.
- Giants and the over – A local gambling ring made the news. Many people feel it shouldn’t be illegal.
- Decapitated – Town counsel
- Foxie – Well known and much loved dog is mincemeat after getting hit by a white pickup truck.
- R2D2 – Was spotted on 4th and Washington.
- Delete! – 411 was ordered to remove libelous comments from an ex hospital worker.
- So sue me – More lawsuits against the City alleging unethical actions.
- More on the $1000 beverage – Opposition mounts to the exorbitant penalty for enjoying alcohol.
- My, that’s a big plane you have – Hoboken resident sends in behind the scenes photos about the new Airbus jet as it makes it’s maiden flight to the U.S.
- Candidates Announced – The council races heat up. Some readers don’t like politics.
- Candidates Invited – Open offer to all candidates, but I wonder why each one wouldn’t jump on this opportunity.
- 52 million – Residents need to be reminded why they should vote for the School board on April 17th.
- Persistent Park Problems – The Southwest Redevelopment Plan is under much scrutiny.
- Horsies – A look into the mounted police.
- Council recap – More and more people are interested now that it’s on TV.
- Robots are out to get us – The automated garage is setting world records in the “debacle” category.
- Hello? – We wonder who’s paying for these political questionnaires.
- Sold! – Another successful fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.
New or Coming Soon (lots):
- Ba-bump Ba-bump Ba-bump – Heart Beat Style opens their doors and begins offering affordable clothing for the ladies.
- Frosty – Rita’s Ice now open for the season. Yummy!
- On the Avenue – Da Vinci’s is making progress on the overhaul of their restaurant and name.
- Re-located – Rubee’s Closet made the successful switch to street-level over at the Monroe Center.
- Doubling up – The downtown CVS is expanding their cramped store.
- Dubya – Progress photos of the W Hotel construction by the river.
- You’re so fine – Another clothing store aims to penetrate the Hoboken market.
- Congested – More condos being developed in one of the most trafficked area in town.
- Goaaaaaal! – A unique soccer shop is slated for First Street this summer.
- Done – Ganache had closed one of their two coffee shops.
- No new reviews in the past two weeks.
Fun, Games and Miscellaneous stuff:
- He’s Alive! – A simple server upgrade took WAY too long.
- It’s a Boy! – Readers chime in with child rearing tips in Hoboken.
- Reader Mail – Ironically about intersections. Both Parking and Crossing Guards
- Parks (or lack thereof) – One rendition of what the possibilities were uptown.
- Poopy – More people leave disgusting dog droppings for you to step in.
- Hiiii Yah! – We have some fun coming up with more “must have” defense tactics at a nearby Martial Arts studio.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Wobbly – PATH trains having recent trouble staying on track.
Recent Town Incidents:
- Incident Map – Again, not much action this week. You can listen to the LIVE police and fire scanner and send noteworthy events in! That would be nice!