How did Hoboken screw up snow removal?
Hoboken Amateur (PL)Hour
Yes, that’s right – the recent attempt at plowing the city of Hoboken was indeed managed by amateurs.
The outrage and disgust amongst local citizens (and even NBA teams like the Orlando Magic that visited) – was so bad – that something needs to come from this experience.
The bottom line as a result of the Blizzard that struck the northeast is this: No matter what spin you hear elsewhere, the city of Hoboken truly botched this weather event on practically all counts (except for the HPD, HFD and EMS – who tried as hard as they could to manage).
- Prime examples are every city surrounding Hoboken. Everyone who traveled into Hoboken said the roads were fine – until they got to Hoboken. You know what? Those towns are bigger, have more miles of roads – and did just fine.
- Whomever managed this function of the city did a very poor job. We had hardly any plows – and whatever equipment that came – started much too late, and were woefully inadequate for the job. After this lose-lose situation, the city had to fork over more taxpayer money for out-of-town contractors – who were still painfully underpowered. What happened to those industrial-sized power-house trucks in previous years?
- And why was our Mayor Dawn Zimmer on vacation in New Hampshire – when she knew well in advance that a massive storm was coming? Who allowed all this time off? And what about the Parking Czar Ian Sacs – who took his 6th week of vacation over in Finland? Why was no mention made of who was governing the city? I heard that double-dipper Arch Liston was running the show – although never officially announced.
City Spins their own blizzard of misinformation
- The city really turned on the spin machine! For one, if you read any of the sugar-coated press releases churned out of City Hall by spinmeister Juan Melli – everything was fine in Hoboken. They were “managing the difficult storm – had plenty of plows,” and blamed the reason streets were covered with snow on “wind gusts.” You ask any single Hoboken resident who stepped outside – or even just looked outside the window – and they’d say that is a 100% blatant lie. Plows were non-existent – and the ones that did go by – either got stuck – or just plowed an inch of snow off the top because they were not powerful enough. Do you accept the city lying to your face? Now apply that feeling to the rest of the junk spewed out of City Hall and you’ll all understand me better.
Whomever made the decision to publish such a lie should admit they purposely lied, apologize, then resign. Spin doesn’t work when 1000’s of residents see through the fiction.
- They also “blamed” it on the fact that it was a big Blizzard. Bullocks. Hoboken has had many blizzards in the past – and were cleaned up quickly and efficiently. Back in 2003 – we had one the same size – with none of these problems. Previous administrations took care of the emergency situations like this with ease.
The Buck Stops with Zimmer
It’s quite possible the total disaster that Hoboken suffered through after our December 2010 Blizzard may have been attributable to one of many individuals – but Mayor Dawn Zimmer is the root cause – since she’s the “Chief Executive” of Hoboken. Whether it’s not having proper staffing despite knowing about the potential blizzard, to not executing emergency weather action or having staff qualified in the “real world,” it is ultimately her responsibility.
I’d have a shred of respect for the city if they identified the problems and admitted what they did wrong. Apologize and have a “detailed plan” to document what steps will be taken to prevent such a debacle in the future.
But then again – you know what happened the last time someone had a “Detailed Plan” (to reduce property taxes….)