More Hoboken water problems

1/18/2010:

Gushing on Bloomfield

This afternoon, United Water was working on some pipes under the street on Bloomfield between 3rd and 4th. They supposedly finished up around 6pm – and re-patched the road up.

Well, apparently a couple hours later – the pipes burst, and now the street is flooded and many residents in the area have no water. Many residents sent in emails – and Jeremy with the photo.

water main break 3rd and bloomfield hoboken nj

Leave a Reply

11 Comments on "More Hoboken water problems"

truth1
Member
truth1

Let’t not complain too much when one considers Haiti! We are an old city with old infrastructure and much traffic.

KenOn10
Member
KenOn10

we are an old city with old infrastructure that out-sourced their water services to a for-profit enterprise in order to save money. Comprehensive maintenance doesn’t seem to be very high on the UW priority list.

part of the hoboken survival kit includes a couple of gallon jugs in your closet and membership in a health club at least a couple of blocks away…. so you can drink, flush and shower in a pinch.

In response to truth1 who said:
Let’t not complain too much when one considers Haiti! We are an old city with old infrastructure and much traffic.

Hoboken16
Member
Hoboken16

KenOn10, Hoboken owns the water infrastucture in this town not UW. They provide the water and repairs when needed. UW has no power in just going out there and ripping up roads to replace the existing pipes. Hoboken has to give them the okay because they will be footing the bill. I don’t think UW likes having to do all the repairs necessary in Hoboken either as everytime there is a main break, the water in the streets is lost revenue for them.

In response to KenOn10 who said:
we are an old city with old infrastructure that out-sourced their water services to a for-profit enterprise in order to save money. Comprehensive maintenance doesn’t seem to be very high on the UW priority list.

part of the hoboken survival kit includes a couple of gallon jugs in your closet and membership in a health club at least a couple of blocks away…. so you can drink, flush and shower in a pinch.

Easy-E
Member

Why is it that I hear this sentiment so often among people on this site?

Tragedy strikes the poorest nation in the western hemisphere, and that means that our local government gets a pass on a chronic problem?

Lower taxes? We don’t need to lower taxes, it could be worse, this town could be just like Mogadishu Somalia! Count your blessings!!

Someone I knew once said “Your broken leg doesn’t make my broken toe feel any better.”

In response to truth1 who said:
Let’t not complain too much when one considers Haiti! We are an old city with old infrastructure and much traffic.

plywood
Member
plywood

Yes, anyone who doesn’t put several major Hoboken water main breaks in their game plan doesn’t know or doesn’t care about history. Under current budget conditions, I would have to believe needed systemic pipe replacement is a fantasy. It’s as much a part of Hoboken life as a steaming stack in the middle of a Manhattan street.

In response to truth1 who said:
Let’t not complain too much when one considers Haiti! We are an old city with old infrastructure and much traffic.

KenOn10
Member
KenOn10

or, sadly, as much a part of Hoboken life as a steaming pile in the middle of the sidewalk.

In response to plywood who said:
Yes, anyone who doesn’t put several major Hoboken water main breaks in their game plan doesn’t know or doesn’t care about history. Under current budget conditions, I would have to believe needed systemic pipe replacement is a fantasy. It’s as much a part of Hoboken life as a steaming stack in the middle of a Manhattan street.

plywood
Member
plywood

Well played! Thank you so much! So many of the straight lines go to waste!

In response to KenOn10 who said:
or, sadly, as much a part of Hoboken life as a steaming pile in the middle of the sidewalk.

DEADMAU5
Member
DEADMAU5

Empire coffee had no water and i did not have any coffee. Leaks all over this town, promises to make repairs, nothing is done and it only gets worse. With flooding an issue and and water main breaks left and right this town will soon have cars replaced with boats, this is not Vienna

Easy-E
Member

Venice.

In response to DEADMAU5 who said:
Empire coffee had no water and i did not have any coffee. Leaks all over this town, promises to make repairs, nothing is done and it only gets worse. With flooding an issue and and water main breaks left and right this town will soon have cars replaced with boats, this is not Vienna

DEADMAU5
Member
DEADMAU5

Correct, thanks E

In response to Easy-E who said:
Venice.

tween_spirit
Member
tween_spirit

jackhammer’s going nonstop on this section of bloom! and no water!

wpDiscuz