The Turtle Club Update

1/28/2010 Update:

Turtle Club coming first week of Feb. (next week!)

Stopped by the Turtle Club (at 936 Park Ave. – the former Goldhawk) last night – and got some exciting news! They hope to open one day next week!

Here’s what I found out, along with some of my initial observations:

  • The layout is very similar to the Goldhawk, except that the front bar feels bigger, because the middle island was removed as well as the shelving behind the bar, plus the installation of mirrors – giving it a sense of more “openness.”
  • The “mini kitchen” allows for some very basic dishes to be served: meat and cheese plates, paninis, and other “stove cooked” items and salads.
  • More focus on wine – with a large selection of moderately priced bottles. Also remember that, because The Turtle Club is a “pick and pack,” and you can buy alcohol to go up until closing time. You may want that extra bottle after the regular liquor stores close. Oh and eight beers on tap, too.
  • A big deal: Bathrooms greatly improved – with a three person capacity in each. The old Goldhawk had some of the dumpiest bathrooms in Hoboken. Hooray!

The Turtle Club has an overall warm, welcoming feel to the place, and the owners don’t intend on it being a “frou-frou” establishment, so anyone wearing practically anything can chill out and have some delicious beverages. They also still plan to have a few musical or artistic events each month.

Three flat panel TV’s throughout will typically be broadcasting a popular sports game or two. Hey, you might even want to catch the Super Bowl there?

Will update this again once they open!

See previous updates after the jump…

12/22/2009 Update:

Turtle Club Coming Soon!

Some quick photo updates for the Hoboken Turtle Club, which is taking the space of the old Goldhawk at 10th and Park.

Hoboken Turtle Club NJ 10th Park NJ
Hoboken Turtle Club NJ 10th Park NJ interior

While we wait for the new drinking establishment to open – check out some of these links:

Who else can’t wait till they open?

9/15/2009:

Turtle Club supposedly coming Fall 2009

As one Hoboken411 reader mentioned previously – the old Goldhawk bar which closed recently, and used to feature musical acts and open mic nights – is undergoing what Obama would call a “fundamental transformation.”

“A bartender recently told me he’s re-opening here “hopefully in October” with a new place called “Turtle Club.” Didn’t seem like he was too interested in having live music. They want more dining tables in that back room.”

turtle-bar-to-replace-goldhawk-hoboken-nj

98 Responses

  1. julro says:

    Shoppegirl, fakest review ever

  2. 9 says:

    Y’all are the biggest bunch of cynics ever gathered. Not EVERY post that says something positive about a business is a fake review. Seriously.

    • Easy-E says:

      9, but you gotta admit, a sentence along the lines of “the management and staff were helpful and attended to my every need” has almost become a 411 meme for fake-ass reviews.

      Not saying this one is, but you know… The worst was Sedona when the owners posted under their Sedona screen name but signed other people’s names underneath. http://hoboken411.com/archives/4032/comment-page-1#comments

      That being said, the place looks pretty cool, I’ll give it a try eventually.

      In response to 9 who said:

      Y’all are the biggest bunch of cynics ever gathered. Not EVERY post that says something positive about a business is a fake review. Seriously.

  3. 9 says:

    Good point. It’s just funny, though. It seems that any time someone posts something nice about a business, the next two posts are people accusing them of being owners, employees or family.

    I’m anxious to try this bar, as well.

  4. plywood says:

    Good for you shoppegirl28. It’s nice to read something positive here instead of the all-too-frequent indictment review of a place of business. Let’s maybe try helping a new business get the word out without some offhand complaint. Who could care less about the author’s motives.

  5. 19goingon20 says:

    Has anyone been yet??? I am hoping it turns out to be as good as it looks!

    • pawzclawz says:

      I was there last Tuesday. The night before the storm. The owners are a manager from The Madison and a bartender from Hudson Tavern. They’re nice guys. I hope it works out for their sakes. I don’t see it working out. They cook behind the bar. The menu is small. The prices expensive. I don’t know how much work was done. I could be wrong. It doesn’t look like a lot of work was done. They are trying to turn a dive. That still looks like a dive into an upscale place. The crowd wasn’t bad though. I went to go in this past Tuesday night. There wasn’t a soul in there. I ended up going to 10th&Willow instead. I hope it was just an off night. The new car smell hasn’t worn off already.

      In response to 19goingon20 who said:

      Has anyone been yet??? I am hoping it turns out to be as good as it looks!

      • DEADMAU5 says:

        Maybe it wasn’t an off night, maybe everyone knew you were coming and took off?

        In response to pawzclawz who said:

        I was there last Tuesday. The night before the storm. The owners are a manager from The Madison and a bartender from Hudson Tavern. They’re nice guys. I hope it works out for their sakes. I don’t see it working out. They cook behind the bar. The menu is small. The prices expensive. I don’t know how much work was done. I could be wrong. It doesn’t look like a lot of work was done. They are trying to turn a dive. That still looks like a dive into an upscale place. The crowd wasn’t bad though. I went to go in this past Tuesday night. There wasn’t a soul in there. I ended up going to 10th&Willow instead. I hope it was just an off night. The new car smell hasn’t worn off already.

      • pawzclawz says:

        You are a real horse’s ass!

        In response to DEADMAU5 who said:

        Maybe it wasn’t an off night, maybe everyone knew you were coming and took off?

  6. DEADMAU5 says:

    A horse is a horse of course of course…the famous Mr Ed :)

  7. KenOn10 says:

    i like the Turtle Club. no, it isn’t the goldhawk, but it still has that friendly, local bar feel. the menu is pretty minimal, but the wrap i had was really tasty. one bartender from goldhawk is working there now. It’s a good spot.

  8. oh well okay says:

    haven’t been in yet, but the guys are decent guys so i hope they make it. I loved the goldhawk and will def miss the music though. two thoughts:

    1) lone star is awful – in college we could buy it for 4.50 a case – now it must be a trendy beer like pbr so you can charge 7 bucks for it – ouch

    2) pawzclawz – Reading your posts. is like. watching william shatner. speak. with all of the. unnatural pauses. and clipped phrasing.

    • DEADMAU5 says:

      Now you will be called “a. real. horses butt.” get. ready

      In response to oh well okay who said:

      haven’t been in yet, but the guys are decent guys so i hope they make it. I loved the goldhawk and will def miss the music though. two thoughts:

      1) lone star is awful – in college we could buy it for 4.50 a case – now it must be a trendy beer like pbr so you can charge 7 bucks for it – ouch

      2) pawzclawz – Reading your posts. is like. watching william shatner. speak. with all of the. unnatural pauses. and clipped phrasing.

  9. macncheese says:

    I went to the turtle club opening weekend which was a mistake. I will give it another shot during the week because the Saturday night I was there was horrible. I had such high hopes for this place as I live nearby and really miss Ted & Jo’s.
    The crowd was young…the music was so loud we had to shout at each other. They took away the bar stools and moved all the tables back against the wall so more people could crowd in…and it was crowded. We were only in the back bar area which I thought would be more of a wine bar lounge than the front room but was not. We finally had to leave. My friends will never go back. I will try it one more time but not on a weekend. When did tube-tops make a come back?

    • DEADMAU5 says:

      Tube tops have made a come back ever since bergen county guidettes have been infesting this town, I should also include the Bayonne chicas. Pawznclawz wears a tube top as well. Maybe this is tube top central?

      In response to macncheese who said:

      I went to the turtle club opening weekend which was a mistake. I will give it another shot during the week because the Saturday night I was there was horrible. I had such high hopes for this place as I live nearby and really miss Ted & Jo’s.
      The crowd was young…the music was so loud we had to shout at each other. They took away the bar stools and moved all the tables back against the wall so more people could crowd in…and it was crowded. We were only in the back bar area which I thought would be more of a wine bar lounge than the front room but was not. We finally had to leave. My friends will never go back. I will try it one more time but not on a weekend. When did tube-tops make a come back?

      • pawzclawz says:

        Listen Troll! If you feel it in your lonely heart to refer to me when there is absolutely no reason to. Please get my user name correct. It is PawzClawz not Pawznclawz. The only other thing I have to say to you is “BACK OFF ASSHOLE!”

        In response to DEADMAU5 who said:

        Tube tops have made a come back ever since bergen county guidettes have been infesting this town, I should also include the Bayonne chicas. Pawznclawz wears a tube top as well. Maybe this is tube top central?

      • DEADMAU5 says:

        Yikes

        In response to pawzclawz who said:

        Listen Troll! If you feel it in your lonely heart to refer to me when there is absolutely no reason to. Please get my user name correct. It is PawzClawz not Pawznclawz. The only other thing I have to say to you is “BACK OFF ASSHOLE!”

  10. 19goingon20 says:

    I met a group of about 25 friends at The Turtle Club on Sat 2/20 at around 7:00 pm and we had a fantastic time! For the most part there was plenty of room in the back bar area for the first couple of hours (it helped that we were able to secure a couple of the long tables). The menu is limited but everyone enjoyed the appetizers we nibbled on and I thought there was a nice variety to the drink menu. Please keep in mind, the average age of our group was 40 so we were not loud or annoying (nor did anyone wear a tube top). I am not sure what happened but it seemed that someone flipped a switch at 10:00 pm because all of a sudden the place was packed and there was a line out the door! The atmosphere completely changed and we promptly left and headed over to Court St. for a final cocktail.
    I was back this past Saturday at around 5:00 pm for a glass of wine with my husband and the atmosphere was lovely. The hostess suggested that there was a bit more room in the front bar and reminded us that we could sit at any of the long tables.
    We will definately be back but will be sure to just avoid the place on Fri and Sat nights.

    • DEADMAU5 says:

      You see pawzclawz?

      In response to 19goingon20 who said:

      I met a group of about 25 friends at The Turtle Club on Sat 2/20 at around 7:00 pm and we had a fantastic time! For the most part there was plenty of room in the back bar area for the first couple of hours (it helped that we were able to secure a couple of the long tables). The menu is limited but everyone enjoyed the appetizers we nibbled on and I thought there was a nice variety to the drink menu. Please keep in mind, the average age of our group was 40 so we were not loud or annoying (nor did anyone wear a tube top). I am not sure what happened but it seemed that someone flipped a switch at 10:00 pm because all of a sudden the place was packed and there was a line out the door! The atmosphere completely changed and we promptly left and headed over to Court St. for a final cocktail.
      I was back this past Saturday at around 5:00 pm for a glass of wine with my husband and the atmosphere was lovely. The hostess suggested that there was a bit more room in the front bar and reminded us that we could sit at any of the long tables.
      We will definately be back but will be sure to just avoid the place on Fri and Sat nights.

  11. TheGreenMan says:

    I was a huge fan of both Liquid Lounge and Goldhawk and miss the whole “starving artist” feel of both…but I’ve been to the Turtle Club and it’s not bad. It’s a good addition to the neighborhood in its own way.

    However, I will think it’s hilarious if it becomes a huge club crowd at night…and the neighbors that complained about too many people playing acoustic guitar at night now have the Jersey Shore outside their windows. I guess it’s all about the trade-off.

    • plywood says:

      I loved Liquid Lounge in particular! Unfortunately, the “starving artist” motif is now anachronistic to Hoboken. These are the good old days.

      In response to TheGreenMan who said:

      I was a huge fan of both Liquid Lounge and Goldhawk and miss the whole “starving artist” feel of both…but I’ve been to the Turtle Club and it’s not bad. It’s a good addition to the neighborhood in its own way.

      However, I will think it’s hilarious if it becomes a huge club crowd at night…and the neighbors that complained about too many people playing acoustic guitar at night now have the Jersey Shore outside their windows. I guess it’s all about the trade-off.

  12. TheGreenMan says:

    Yeah, unfortunately they really are. One of my favorite weekly things to do was head to open mic night over there–hosted by Mike Latch. The guy was funny and some of the acts were actually really good. There was always this old guy that would play the same song EVERY week, but he was surprisingly good.

    Another thing was movie Sundays. They did it one summer (I think ’99) and sometimes it was just my friends and I in there watching eclectic stuff like “Pi” and “Slackers”. I guess the fact that it was only a few of us is sort of why the Liquid didn’t stay around.

    Yeah, those are quickly becoming the good old days. Unfortunately, right when I moved from 13th to 9th it changed to Goldhawk. Figures. There are smaller venues for an open mic feel, but they’re a little harder to find and aren’t the same vibe.

  13. plywood says:

    As I have said before “Where’d you go Joe Borzotta, we hardly knew ya”.

Leave a Reply