Latest Candidate ELEC Reports

5/11/2009 Update:

Hoboken411 contributor estevens – with the latest campaign ELEC report updates!

Cammarano

Lots of contributions from political entities around the state and here in Hoboken. The $58K raised in contributions of $300 or less is impressive if it’s true.

Rosalie Bigica ($10,000): Wow! Cammarano’s most generous benefactor is a Garfield homemaker who shares an address with a BJB Realty, which gave $1000 to the Roberts campaign in 2001. BJB Realty’s corporate officers are Biagio Bigica and Joseph Bigica. Joseph, who appears to be the son of Biagio and Rosalie, also has an insurance brokerage company – JBI – which lists among its clients served the municipalities of Secaucus, Weehawken, and Union City; the West New York BOE and Housing Authority; and Hudson County. Will Hoboken be next? Contracts are usually given out in July… Hoboken’s annual insurance costs are approaching $15M. Broker commissions are typically 6%.

hoboken-elec-reports-may-11-2009

Hoboken’s pay-to-play ordinance prevents Joseph Bigica and his company from contributing more than $300 each to Hoboken candidates without losing the ability to gain the city’s insurance broker contract. By having a relative make the contribution, one might circumvent the city ordinance. As an aside, when Joseph Bigica contributed the maximum amount allowable to US Senator Robert Menendez in 2007 and 2008, his wife Laura (Homemaker), and presumptive parents Biagio (European Cut Hair Stylist) and Rosalie also gave the maximum amounts allowable.

See the rest of Cammarano – plus other candidates – after the jump!

(Latest ELEC Reports, continued…)

Cammarano, continued…

New Frontier Committee ($5200) Ryan Graham ($2600): More insurance brokers! Graham is an associate with Fairview Insurance Agency. Fairview has provided Risk Manager services for Caldwell, Highland Park, Livingston, and West Orange, among others. Fairview was a regular contributor to the Russo organization years ago: $5000 to the Russo-controlled Hoboken Democratic Party in 1999, $5000 to Russo Team in 2000, and $5000 again to the Hoboken Dems in 2001. Looks like they’re getting back in the game.

By a remarkable coincidence, John Graham, founder and CEO of Fairview, made a $5000 contribution to a Medford NJ PAC, The New Frontier Committee, on March 30. Two weeks later, New Frontier made a $5200 contribution to Cammarano. Huh. Side note: In February 2008, Remington & Vernick Engineers – they were given a $50K city contract in August 2007 – made a $4000 contribution to New Frontier. Three weeks later, New Frontier made a $4000 contribution to the Cammarano-managed committee Voice for All Hoboken. Huh.

Philip Bogle ($2600): Goodness gracious – yet another insurance guy apparently paying the Hoboken cover charge to get in! With big fat insurance benefit plans like Hoboken’s, apparently everyone wants in. Though no employment information was provided on Cammarano’s ELEC filing, it was fairly easy to find that Bogle is president of Bogle Agency Insurance of Lyndhurst.

Nicholas Petruzelli ($2000): Washington Street realtor and developer/partner with Hoboken Construction Code Official Al Arezzo.

Lawrence J Bijou ($1000): Heard about the 40-story towers coming to north Hoboken? Bijou bought 1532 Park – the Macy’s Day Parade warehouse – in May 2007 for $15.3M. He sold it in June 2008 for $39.7M to the Rockefeller Group. Wow. This guy has really spread the love around – $44K in contributions to Russo Team 2001, Roberts Team 2003 & 2005, Russo 2007, Raia/Rosenberg, Tremitiedi, Mason, Campos, Voice for All Hoboken, Ramos 2007 & 2009, and the Hoboken Dems.

Mason

Mason is serious about this. She’s put up a considerable amount of her own money –almost $290K so far. Lots of New York attorneys, with several from Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz – husband Richard Mason is a partner. Some finance people as well. Just one thing out of the ordinary…

Committee for Open Government ($5000): Bit of a surprise here. Efficiency appears to be little more than a political committee based in Hoboken that wheels contributions around the state, providing a disconnect between contributors and candidates. Efficiency recently moved contributions from Hoboken’s risk manager, Federal Hill, to Ruben Ramos and Voice for All Hoboken. Hmmm… nothing reported in or out on Efficiency’s 2009 first quarter report.

Zimmer

Runner-up for highest personal investment in the race, Zimmer has contributed $45K so far. The bulk of the remainder appears to come from friends, family, neighbors, and local supporters.

Bhalla

This is how you fundraise! Ravi Bhalla has done an impressive job of collecting many small donations from friends, family, neighbors, and associates. Only one contributor stood out as a politically-connected operator.

Brownstein Booth & Associates ($500): In 2003, Bhalla represented Alex Booth in 2003 when the late Jersey City Mayor Glenn Cunningham was trying to remove Booth from his position as Jersey City Corporation Counsel. Interestingly, this was the firm that represented former Chris Campos in his election challenge against Dawn Zimmer in 2007.

Victor J Herlinksy Jr ($500): Attorney specializing in construction law; attorney to Hackensack BOE, City of Passaic; prosecutor in Secaucus, Ringwood, and Passaic.

Krovatin, Gerald ($500): Bhalla was formerly employed by the law firm Krovatin Klingeman LLC of Newark.

The Independents –

Carbine, Melberg, Occhipinti, Orsini, Vincent, Waiters
Campaigns on a budget. Mostly small-dollar contributions with everything appearing to be aboveboard.

OLDER UPDATES BELOW

5/4/2009 Stop Whining Update:

For those still questioning the timeliness of Beth Mason’s ELEC filings, here are is a PDF document that supports what estevens posted below:

“I’ve been provided with evidence that Mason’s 29-day report was mailed on April 10 and returned by the post office for unknown reasons. I am satisfied that an honest attempt was made to file properly.

My main concern is that information is available before the election date as required. As for law-breaking, ELEC doesn’t seem to give a damn. City Clerk Jimmy Farina’s 2007 school board slate filed over a year after the election was over. ELEC’s belated response was to sent the committee a stern letter asking them to please not do that again. In 2007, the Hoboken political committee Voice for All Hoboken, chaired by a former spokesperson for Mayor Roberts and managed by Peter Cammarano, received over $76,000 in contributions, some that I would consider problematic or embarassing, and distributed those monies to candidates Campos, Russo, Castellano, Giacchi, and Tremitiedi. Again, these reports were not made available until a year after the election was over. ELEC’s response to my complaints was no response.

I’m not excusing anyone for days-late filing and I’m satisfied that everyone has more or less filed on time. I’m just providing some perspective. – estevens

mason-elec

5/4/2009:

ELEC Report Card

Want to know who is giving money to the Hoboken Mayor and Council candidates but can’t stand the hideous NJ ELEC website that is supposed to provide easy access to campaign disclosure forms?


elec-reports-for-hoboken-29-days-out

Fear not, because Hoboken411 contributor estevens does the dirty work for you! Take a look at the great job he’s done presenting the information in an easy to read format. The 29-day pre-election forms are in, and soon we will also see the 11-day pre-election reports. The 29-day reports say the Mason Team accounts had the most money with $272,084, followed by Cammarano with $116,742, and Zimmer/Bhalla with $111,632. None of the independents have shown the ability to compete in the money race…

Leave a Reply

104 Comments on "Latest Candidate ELEC Reports"

estevens
Member

I’ll confess that I was expecting some self-serving rant from the guy, but was surprised to hear that he had a legitimate problem with the athletic director. I don’t know what I could “investigate” but if he’s at the next meeting and the superintendent has not resolved the situation to his satisfaction, I’d like to speak with him about his experience.

estevens
Member

Cammarano’s post-election campaign filings are still not available online.

Lucy Truglio, campaign treasurer, what’s the story?

HobokenKnight
Member
HobokenKnight

What are they going 2 do 2 him? Arrest him? LOL.

Hey estevens,

I saw you up front at the last BOE meeting (which finally made it 2 channel 77 last week) & I’m wondering when you’re going 2 start investigating what that young man spoke about w/the strength & conditioning program 4 the football players at Hobroken HS. That sounds like a very “interesting” situation & a potential BIG problem 4 some people.

Any thoughts / plans?

In response to estevens who said:
Cammarano’s post-election campaign filings are still not available online.

Lucy Truglio, campaign treasurer, what’s the story?

hobojoe
Member

“A $2100 fine was levied, payable over ten months so as to not be overly burdensome to Fitzgibbons.”

I hope part of the deal was that he not pay by personal check…

estevens
Member

Update: Neither Zimmer nor Cammarano’s post-election filings are available on ELEC as of this morning. Filings were due three weeks ago. Who cares?

Former Hudson County Freeholder Maurice Fitzgibbons did not bother to file with ELEC for his November 2005 election. Not his 29-day pre-election filing, not his 11-day pre-election filing, not his 20-day post-election filing. Nothing. Nothing indicating to the public where his financial support came from. Nothing until over a year later, when he apparently filed all reports after ELEC began a review for non-compliance.

The upshot? Just a few weeks ago, nearly FOUR YEARS after his election, ELEC handed down their decision. A $2100 fine was levied, payable over ten months so as to not be overly burdensome to Fitzgibbons. Gotta make that Church Towers rent.

jman01
Member
jman01

Sick matt_72 after them.

In response to estevens who said:
Update: Neither Zimmer nor Cammarano’s post-election filings are available on ELEC as of this morning. Filings were due three weeks ago. Who cares?

Former Hudson County Freeholder Maurice Fitzgibbons did not bother to file with ELEC for his November 2005 election. Not his 29-day pre-election filing, not his 11-day pre-election filing, not his 20-day post-election filing. Nothing. Nothing indicating to the public where his financial support came from. Nothing until over a year later, when he apparently filed all reports after ELEC began a review for non-compliance.

The upshot? Just a few weeks ago, nearly FOUR YEARS after his election, ELEC handed down their decision. A $2100 fine was levied, payable over ten months so as to not be overly burdensome to Fitzgibbons. Gotta make that Church Towers rent.

jman01
Member
jman01

or…..sic matt_72 after them for those elec reports.

In response to jman01 who said:
Sick matt_72 after them.

oceanbloo
Member
oceanbloo

Why am I not surprised?

So Cammarano and his team aren’t competent enough to file reports on time. What else won’t they have enough time to do?

Maybe Cammarano can actually try to be a leader and oversee compliance…

Margaret, Watchmaker, naf, etc…how do you explain this?

Watchmaker
Member
Watchmaker

He’s busy campaigning? Doesn’t have enough staff to do it on time?

Why do you always have to assume the worst? And does it really help you in life?

In response to oceanbloo who said:
Why am I not surprised?

So Cammarano and his team aren’t competent enough to file reports on time. What else won’t they have enough time to do?

Maybe Cammarano can actually try to be a leader and oversee compliance…

Margaret, Watchmaker, naf, etc…how do you explain this?

Journey
Member
Journey

the ELEC reports lets me see who the candidate is indebted too, that helps me decide who to vote for.

In response to Watchmaker who said:
He’s busy campaigning? Doesn’t have enough staff to do it on time?

Why do you always have to assume the worst? And does it really help you in life?

emarche
Member

“Doesn’t have enough staff to do it on time?”

That’s beyond silly.

Elec reports are a critical part of the election process. If he has time to plaster our town with millions of photos of his smug face, if they have time to collect endorsements from failed political hacks, if they have time to organize a block party…then yeah – they should have plenty of time to take care of, you know, FILING THE REQUIRED-BY-LAW PAPERWORK.

In response to Watchmaker who said:
He’s busy campaigning? Doesn’t have enough staff to do it on time?

Why do you always have to assume the worst? And does it really help you in life?

Watchmaker
Member
Watchmaker

If it sounds silly, that’s because it was meant as a joke. 🙂

But I agree that the ELEC reports should be filed on time: a failure to file the report at the very least implies that the candidate does not respect informed voters (or rather those who are trying to get informed).

I know some people from Cammarano’s campaign, so perhaps I can ask them what is going on. YOU should do the same: go ahead and call his campaign.

In response to emarche who said:
“Doesn’t have enough staff to do it on time?”

That’s beyond silly.

Elec reports are a critical part of the election process. If he has time to plaster our town with millions of photos of his smug face, if they have time to collect endorsements from failed political hacks, if they have time to organize a block party…then yeah – they should have plenty of time to take care of, you know, FILING THE REQUIRED-BY-LAW PAPERWORK.

KenOn10
Member
KenOn10

Darn it, I was ALMOST done working “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore” into a response. 🙂

In response to Watchmaker who said:
If it sounds silly, that’s because it was meant as a joke. 🙂

But I agree that the ELEC reports should be filed on time: a failure to file the report at the very least implies that the candidate does not respect informed voters (or rather those who are trying to get informed).

I know some people from Cammarano’s campaign, so perhaps I can ask them what is going on. YOU should do the same: go ahead and call his campaign.

wpDiscuz