Hobokenpix: Changes abound
[Continuing the Hoboken411 “Photo of the Day” series…]
Hoboken Photo GALLERY of the Day – 12/1/2008
When I decided to create Hoboken411.com back in the beginning of 2006 – little did I know I’d have a massive database of photos to manage, archive, and store (off-site).
In the photo gallery below, you’ll see just TWENTY of the very first pictures I took specifically for 411. Each one of them had something change in the past three years (see the list after the jump). And they all happened within FIVE blocks.
PHOTO GALLERY (HOLD MOUSE OVER IMAGE TO NAVIGATE – 20 PHOTOS IN THIS SET)
See each business – and what changed, after the jump!
(Hoboken Changes, continued…)
The list would have been too long!
If I had decided to compile a complete list of business changes since 411 started, I’d be dedicating my entire life for a month to put that together (which is why I have the “Year in Review” posts – See 2006 Year in Review and 2007 Year in Review if you’re interested).
Anyway – for the gallery above – here are the 20 businesses, and what changed since the inception of Hoboken411 (in no particular order):
- Alvins Liquors: Alive (Changed name to Yash Liquors)
- Anastasia’s: Alive (Moved from 10th and Wash to 88 Garden)
- BJ Cleaners: Alive (Just added super-bright flashing LED sign)
- Dauria Chiropractic: Gone (Turned into Chi First Massage)
- Dream Castle Daycare: Gone (turned into Kidz City Daycare)
- Ferrazz: Alive (remodeled entire salon)
- Helmers’: Alive (remodeled after Massive fire!)
- Hoboken Beach Club: Gone (Multiple changes – first Yapples Juice bar & Tanning, now Peper & Parlor Shoes takes over)
- JJ Cleaners: Gone (now Anthology Clothing)
- Hobo’s Ice Cream: Gone (Was Pieces of Hoboken, then Bridge Boutique, then added “About a Girl,” now empty) Translation: Ugly exterior. City should relax Historic preservation requirements.
- Washington Coffee and Convenience: Gone (Now a T-Mobile Cell Store)
- Clipp One Hair Cutters: Gone (Turned into kids clothing store)
- Patricia’s Yarns: Gone (but alive – moved to 4th street – Multiple changes – first a bridal clothing store, now Eva’s Shoes) Translation: stupid location for any store except a massage parlor
- Ahhhzz Spa: Gone (not sure if anything is in this ugly building)
- Luscious Paper: Gone (now Tribal Home rugs, etc.)
- Marco Chiropractic: Gone (not sure what’s in there now)
- Joe’s Prime Meats Neighbor: Filled (was empty – now Joey’s BBQ, but they’re in a bit of a bind…)
- Peper Apparel: Moving South soon (along with Parlor Shoes – have taken over old “Hoboken Beach Club” location)
- Savvy Hair: Alive (moved into that empty storefront)
- Washington Cleaners: Gone (turned into Volonte Shoes)
Can you believe that? Out of this small sample of 20 photos – only SIX have the exact same business that was there only 32 months ago.
PS – if you have images collecting dust on your camera or hard drive – send them in for eventual inclusion on Hoboken411! Please state how you’d like to be credited in your email, and a description – if desired!!