Rainy Saturday Surfing 11/15/2008
Here we go with some rainy Saturday Surfing topics!
What’s on the web today?
- A day of steady rain! – You worked hard all week – and this is what you get? Hey, be thankful that it’ll be crazy warm today – and not freezing cold! However, although the forecast calls for a bit over an inch of rain – with some isolated heavy thunderstorms – but be careful, because the accumulated leaves might block up sewer drains and cause unnecessary flooding in town!
- Quantum of Solace – Daniel Craig, the new James Bond – is by far my favorite 007 (Casino Royale was a fantastic movie!) Quantum of Solace came out yesterday – and is projected to top $70 Million dollars at the box office this weekend. Did you see it yet? If so, how was it? If not, do you plan on checking it out in the theater, or wait till DVD or Cable?
- Tech Slumps: Just the beginning? – Another tumultuous week on Wall Street ending sharply once again. This time bad news out of the tech industry – as Sun Microsystems announced plans to lay off about 6,000 workers (or about 15% of the workforce). Do you work in tech? Are you nervous about your job? What’s the next company that will report massive layoffs?
- Corzine announces state workforce reduction – I forgot to mention last week, that Hoboken’s most powerful political resident Jon Corzine announced that 3,800 State employees will be given pink slips. NJ’s workforce would be reduced from 80,314 to 76,450. What perplexed me was that Corzine said “(departments) will not only have to do more with less, they will undoubtedly have to do less.” What bugs me about that is that one would have to assume that each and every employee works at peak efficiency, and doesn’t factor in that most governmental agencies employ inept and mis-managed workers. No-show jobs, relatives and total slackers usually comprise a good portion of the workforce. Why don’t people ever consider that? Get rid of the losers – and make sure folks are doing their damn jobs. Just look at Hoboken for a prime example!
- OBAMA Countdown – Some Barack Obama tidbits in the news recently. One being that officials are warning him against “a huge-threat from Al-Qaeda” early in his presidency. Is that just for show? or a credible threat?
Also – rumors are swirling around that Hillary Clinton is in the running to be the nation’s Secretary of State. My god. I have to say I never ever liked Hillary, and pray to god that I don’t have to see her face on the news constantly!!
Stay dry today, everyone!