Smart Cars: Best or Worst for Hoboken?
Two years later: How do you like Smart Cars in Hoboken?
Many of us see the “benefits” of Smart Cars that are rolling around the streets these days. Decent fuel economy, easy to park, and… uh – that’s about it. Oh, and “affordable.”
But I’m still not sold on the whole thing. I have a list of concerns that fully prevent me from even thinking about getting one:
- For starters, I’m not sure I can put all my trust in those so-called government crash tests. Seems like the laws of physics are against these miniature vehicles.
- What is the insurance cost on them? What about five years from now?
- How much practical room is there inside? How many shopping trips are impossible because of the size limitations?
- What is the general height/weight limit on passengers or drivers?
- Can you see at intersections in Hoboken?
- Do you feel safe driving one?
SEE THE FIRST SMART CARS IN HOBOKEN – AFTER THE JUMP!
First sighting of Smart Cars in Hoboken, NJ
I’m sure many of you have seen a couple of these Smart Cars popping up in Hoboken. I spotted this yellow one over the Memorial Day weekend.
These tiny vehicles start at about $14,000 and get over 30mpg city and over 40mpg highway. While they’re pretty much awesome for parking in town, would you feel safe driving this death-ride? Especially with the way folks drive in New Jersey?
Although, I’m sure pedestrians would feel safer, as I’d probably damage this car if it hit me at an intersection.
PHOTO GALLERY (HOLD MOUSE OVER IMAGE TO NAVIGATE – 3 PHOTOS IN THIS SET)