Gyms: Weekend plans?
A while back, a reader was wondering if any Hoboken fitness centers offered “weekends only” plans for members. Because he had a corporate membership to a gym near his office in the City, and often didn’t want to schlep to Manhattan just for a quick workout. Nor did he want to pay for two full memberships.
So I got on the phone (very rare) and rang all the gyms in town up to find some answers.
In a nutshell, no Hoboken gym offers an true discounted weekend plan at the current time. One gym did, but it was hardly worth it. Most facilities had daily rates, but that too, could add up if you go most weekends. Hey Hoboken gyms, maybe you might want to start offering something like this? It’ll give you an edge over your competition.
If I can read my chicken scratch right, here’s what I came up with:
Options for weekend workouts
(in no particular order – not including any applicable (and senseless) “enrollment fees” )
- Empire fitness: No weekend plan. Monthly membership is $69/month. Daily rate is $20.
- Hudson Athletic Club (HAC): No weekend plan. Monthly membership is $76/month. Daily rate $20.
- New York Sports Clubs (NYSC): No weekend plan. $80/monthly. $25 daily. They do offer a passport that lets you work out in any NYSC (good if you’re near one in the City) for $95/month.
- Sky Club Fitness: Weekend Plan: $85/month. Regular Membership: $95/month (Makes no sense?) Daily pass is $25.
- Supreme Fitness: No answer. Are they still open?
- Club KO: No weekend plans. $20/day. Forgot to ask the monthly membership dues.
- Club H: I believe I called them, but cannot find my notes. Anyone?
- YMCA: No weekend plan. Monthly is $100, or three months for $199. It’s $20/day or $5/day if you go with an existing member.
Is this a sensible option for gyms to offer?
Is there a strong desire for such a thing?
What would be a fair monthly fee for a plan like this?