Zimmer governing by headlines?
Letter: Zimmer governs by headlines only
1st Ward Councilwoman Terry Castellano prepared this letter to the editor, detailing the problems mounting in Hoboken, along with our apparently inept Mayor Dawn Zimmer. With flooding promises going unfulfilled and property taxes on the rise – the sentiment is growing, and not just in political circles.
“The term “Government By Headline,” defines the Zimmer Administration. Ask yourself, two years as a Councilwoman, four years as Mayor and what has changed? We have been inundated by press releases, useless robo-calls, headlines, all in an effort to mask the many Zimmer failures.
Using the media, an ineffective office holder can disguise a lackluster tenure. Reviewing the campaign promises, there are no new parks, streets are filthy, parking is still a disaster. We flood worse than ever and are being sued, spending millions of taxpayer dollars, due to Dawn’s failed eminent domain land grab in the Southwest.
- What has changed? We have a revolving door Administration, Business Administrators, Finance Directors, Corporation Counselors, Parking Directors, and Environmental Services Directors, all come and go. When they leave, many become consultants and remain on the payroll. nice way to garner hefty campaign contributions.
- What has changed? Legal bills have risen by millions. Presently we have an in-house Corporation Counsel with three attorneys. We employ 15 to 21 law firms, according to Corporation Counsel when asked at a recent Council meeting. At least five of the firms handle outstanding litigation, meaning employees are suing for wrongful termination, defamation and other situations that should never have happened, if not for an Administration that is either ignorant or just arrogant, or both.
- What has changed? We are now an employment agency for out of work Attorneys. Place an ad in the legal journal, “need extra contracts, come to Hoboken, we will fill your pockets”. Another opportunity for the Mayors war chest.
- What has changed since Hurricane Sandy? Zimmer was all over the City, posing for photo ops, exploiting the tragedy. She grabbed headlines by portraying the City as a national disaster (thanks Dawn) making recovery much more difficult. Her trip to Washington D.C., was another grab at a headline and what did that accomplish? Dawn was reprimanded by a Senator for speaking on the wrong topic. Did we get any extra aid? The answer is NO, Dawn got publicity. The true heroes of Sandy were the volunteers, public safety personnel, and the residents, who came together, we became one City.
- What has changed? The Hoboken University Medical Center deal did get the taxpayers released from their obligation. There is much speculation on how that deal was struck. There is an ongoing law enforcement investigation. The truth of that deal will come to light soon, the who, what where and when questions will be answered.
I know we have a very intelligent public, who can see right through this sham of an Administration. When they asked themselves, What has changed ? I know they will come up with the right answers.
First Ward Councilwoman