Hoboken Week(s) in Review – 11/11/2007
Your cheat sheet for the noteworthy items covered in Hoboken the past couple weeks.
What items were covered in the past week? Here’s a sampling:
News, items of importance & “Hot Topics”:
- It’s over! What a relief! – 4th Ward Council election is FINALLY done. Back to pizza and bacon reviews.
- Racial Bias Suit – Five Hoboken cops suing city held a rally at town hall.
- Truth or Stunt? – A vague memo gets sent out “warning” city employees that they may be unemployed soon.
- You’re on candid camera – ABC Primetime sets up a sting operation to see if people care about a lost/sad child.
- Slashed – US Flag shredded at the Hoboken Fire Museum.
- Greenery – Intersection light turned on. No “signal lighting ceremony” however.
- Almost instantly – Minutes after new councilwoman Zimmer is sworn in she comes somewhat under fire.
- Who’s next? – Speculation begins as to whom will be our next Mayor.
Community Events & Local Sports:
Lots of happenings in Hoboken!
- Tasty – This Tuesday, the annual eating event featuring many notable Hoboken restaurants.
- Colorful – Local painter Frank Hanavan has an exhibit at the Historical Museum.
- Hysterical – Check the video out of last weeks Hoboken Elks Comedy Night.
New, Updated or Coming Soon:
- Yummy Stuff – This writer is excited about the new Trader Joe’s that recently opened in Edgewater.
- New Cafe – Popular Zebu Forno coming to Hoboken this Spring.
- Ask the 411 Advisor – New weekly financial feature continues on 411.
Leaving Town, screwed, or mucked up:
- Not-so-good – Several readers are already heavily disappointed with the new “Texas BBQ” joint that opened near the PATH. We’ll see how long they last.
- Livin’ on a Prayer – A Hoboken411 reader makes the trek to the new Prudential Center (the “Rock”) and checks out Bon Jovi.
Reader Mail Bag:
- Keeping tabs – A reader found a story in the NY Times interestingly similar to a piece here on 411 months ago.
Fun, Games, Miscellaneous Stuff:
- Winners – We have our winners for the Halloween photo contest, but some folks suspect “ballot box stuffing”. New contest system to be announced for the next giveaway.
- Hobotown – T.G. Heins whips up an election cartoon.
- Doomed? – 411 readers discuss which business may fall by the wayside next.
- “Hip Hoboken” – We all critique a video that popped up on another website.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- I can’t drive – The ability to drive in a straight line has declined over the years.
- Annual Holiday Drive – Help support local animal shelters via Cornerstone Pets and Club KO Gym.
Recent Town Incidents: