Wilton House

Dive Bar

Description – Bar
Services – Bar
Address – 58 Newark St, Hoboken, New Jersey ( NJ ) 07030-4544
Telephone – (201) 656-9635

Wilton%20House%20Bar - Wilton House

You may also like...

74 Comments
Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
whineanddineinhob
whineanddineinhob
Friday, November 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Kind of freaked me out when Vinny and Patty started work on Harpo’s Bar. It used to be a Funeral parlor LMAO. We were still hanging out in the old place “510 Club” until the work was done.

wiskeytango1
wiskeytango1
Reply to  whineanddineinhob
Friday, November 20, 2009 12:55 pm

whine and dine..what was the name of the former funeral parlor before it was a little dinner on the corner?? Jean and john bucco owned the food place on the corner..

In response to whineanddineinhob who said:

Kind of freaked me out when Vinny and Patty started work on Harpo’s Bar. It used to be a Funeral parlor LMAO. We were still hanging out in the old place “510 Club” until the work was done.

whineanddineinhob
whineanddineinhob
Reply to  wiskeytango1
Friday, November 20, 2009 1:05 pm

I don’t know if I ever knew the name to that funeral home. But I do remember the diner too. Seems like the diner paneling was placed over the existing walls. Was told the story by Patty when we asked what all that stained glass was that was going into dumpsters. It was beautiful glasss, but no one wanted it knowing where it came from.

In response to wiskeytango1 who said:

whine and dine..what was the name of the former funeral parlor before it was a little dinner on the corner?? Jean and john bucco owned the food place on the corner..

escaped68
escaped68
Reply to  wiskeytango1
Friday, November 20, 2009 1:35 pm

It was hoffman’s and at one time it was the county morgue. I played football first for castle point and then for the monroe buddys and the games between us and st joes was a reason for the police to show up there was usually a little dispute. We always beat st joes they we all show no heart. The best minor dispute was at jersey city”s high school field when the mounted police showed up ,and certain chap with a bad arm punched the horse. Those were different times. But I agree with you when you said we always had issues with one and other but no one from out of town could do anything in town and not pay the price.

In response to wiskeytango1 who said:

whine and dine..what was the name of the former funeral parlor before it was a little dinner on the corner?? Jean and john bucco owned the food place on the corner..

whineanddineinhob
whineanddineinhob
Reply to  escaped68
Friday, November 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Hoffman’s Funeral Home was located on the corner of First and Jackson St across the street from Casella’s and it was a pretty big establishment. I don’t think the one I’m referring to on 5th and Monroe were the same.

In response to escaped68 who said:

It was hoffman’s and at one time it was the county morgue. I played football first for castle point and then for the monroe buddys and the games between us and st joes was a reason for the police to show up there was usually a little dispute. We always beat st joes they we all show no heart. The best minor dispute was at jersey city”s high school field when the mounted police showed up ,and certain chap with a bad arm punched the horse. Those were different times. But I agree with you when you said we always had issues with one and other but no one from out of town could do anything in town and not pay the price.

escaped68
escaped68
Reply to  whineanddineinhob
Friday, November 20, 2009 2:14 pm

I’m very sure that there was no funeral parlor on 5th & monroe. There was hoffmans which closed 1957/58?, bosworths,lawtons,& fiallas,that all I can remember.

In response to whineanddineinhob who said:

Hoffman’s Funeral Home was located on the corner of First and Jackson St across the street from Casella’s and it was a pretty big establishment. I don’t think the one I’m referring to on 5th and Monroe were the same.

whineanddineinhob
whineanddineinhob
Reply to  escaped68
Friday, November 20, 2009 2:20 pm

It may have well been a rumor. But we definetly witnessed stain glass being romoved during renovations, and it was a story told by Patty.

In response to escaped68 who said:

I’m very sure that there was no funeral parlor on 5th & monroe. There was hoffmans which closed 1957/58?, bosworths,lawtons,& fiallas,that all I can remember.

escaped68
escaped68
Reply to  whineanddineinhob
Friday, November 20, 2009 2:29 pm

There was a lot of stained glass used in entrance doors and in vestibules. It was fairly cheap then and the old german builders loved it. It a one time was used over the entrance doors of houses all along washington st. The best were the stained glass with the address numbers in white glass imbeded.

In response to whineanddineinhob who said:

It may have well been a rumor. But we definetly witnessed stain glass being romoved during renovations, and it was a story told by Patty.

justaview
justaview
Friday, November 20, 2009 11:57 am

funny no one mentiond the Nite Owl cafe or my favorite bucket of blood The Uptown cafe… all the old bars were great back then!!! sure do miss those good old days

escaped68
escaped68
Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:16 pm

All of these bars names bring back many many memories of wild and crazy times. Each and every bar had its share of nuts.There were no fancy drinks, a fancy drink was a boilermaker. Imported beer NFW,it was rheingold, shaefer,pabst,and if desperate that shitwater ballentine. It was a blast and I wouldn’t change a thing but I had to get out or I would be either dead, a drunk or in jail.

plywood
plywood
Reply to  escaped68
Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Remember when Michelob was considered a fancy beer because of the bottle, and if you drank Rolling Rock in those little green bottles you were uncool. To go bar price was $3 a six. And that silly household refrigerator at Peppers, no tall necks, Bud in cans.

In response to escaped68 who said:

All of these bars names bring back many many memories of wild and crazy times. Each and every bar had its share of nuts.There were no fancy drinks, a fancy drink was a boilermaker. Imported beer NFW,it was rheingold, shaefer,pabst,and if desperate that shitwater ballentine. It was a blast and I wouldn’t change a thing but I had to get out or I would be either dead, a drunk or in jail.

interested
interested
Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Hoboken House was a restaurant on Washington St where Arthur’s now stands

plywood
plywood
Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Remember when Garden Wine & Liquor was actually on Garden Street. And all the overhead sneakers at 7th and Park where GW&L is now. One day I guess PSE &G said ‘enough’ and cut all the shoes down.

Furey
Furey
Reply to  plywood
Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:34 pm

urbanlegends.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=...raightdope.com/classics/a5_274.html

So what was the reason for doing it in Hoboken?

In response to plywood who said:

Remember when Garden Wine & Liquor was actually on Garden Street. And all the overhead sneakers at 7th and Park where GW&L is now. One day I guess PSE &G said ‘enough’ and cut all the shoes down.

NotBornButRaised
NotBornButRaised
Reply to  Furey
Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:02 pm

When I was growing up, in the late 80’s – early 90’s, we did it just because someone had done it before us. There were already sneakers on the wires, so we thought this is what you do with old sneakers. There was no real reason for us, just continuing tradition. Perhaps the older Hobokenites who had put their sneakers there first had a reason.

In response to Furey who said:

wiskeytango1
wiskeytango1
Reply to  NotBornButRaised
Friday, November 20, 2009 10:40 am

not born but raised..the sneakers were also a sign of a drug pick up …

In response to NotBornButRaised who said:

When I was growing up, in the late 80’s – early 90’s, we did it just because someone had done it before us. There were already sneakers on the wires, so we thought this is what you do with old sneakers. There was no real reason for us, just continuing tradition. Perhaps the older Hobokenites who had put their sneakers there first had a reason.

justaview
justaview
Reply to  wiskeytango1
Friday, November 20, 2009 10:43 am

then there would have been a lot more sneakers hanging all over town!

In response to wiskeytango1 who said:

not born but raised..the sneakers were also a sign of a drug pick up …

wiskeytango1
wiskeytango1
Reply to  justaview
Friday, November 20, 2009 11:09 am

maybe so ..but most wires and fiber optics are underground ..how do u leave a message skippy?

In response to justaview who said:

then there would have been a lot more sneakers hanging all over town!

justaview
justaview
Reply to  wiskeytango1
Friday, November 20, 2009 11:52 am

back in the 70’s we didn’t throw our sneakers over the wires to get drugs pops! we just went to the park

In response to wiskeytango1 who said:

maybe so ..but most wires and fiber optics are underground ..how do u leave a message skippy?

NotBornButRaised
NotBornButRaised
Reply to  justaview
Friday, November 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Every generation had their own system for getting drugs. I grew up in the age of beepers and payphones. There was once 3 payphones located on a one block stretch of 9th street, between Park and Willow: one by the Willow bodega, one by where Stereo Distributors used to be, and one where the Gonzalez store used to be (the only one that survived, by the cleaners). Loitering and drug activity got so bad, they removed the other 2 payphones. A few years later, everybody was using cell phones. I wouldn’t be surprised if kids today used Twitter or similar technology for their drug activity. Drugs and porn always seem to embrace new technology first.

In response to justaview who said:

back in the 70’s we didn’t throw our sneakers over the wires to get drugs pops! we just went to the park

plywood
plywood
Reply to  Furey
Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Last day of school was sometimes part of it, but as NotBornButRaised indicated, mostly because of a lemming effect. Pre-spray paint self-expression.

ie who was the first person to loosen the top on a salt shaker for the next person at a diner? you don’t even get to see what happens…

In response to Furey who said:

escaped68
escaped68
Reply to  plywood
Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:04 pm

I worked there while I was in high school,the orginal owner was Sid Gordon a nice person. I sold more beer& 50 cent bottles of wine out the side door to underage friends then he sold over the counter. But as far as snrakers over tne wires that is something that was always there, why???

In response to plywood who said:

Remember when Garden Wine & Liquor was actually on Garden Street. And all the overhead sneakers at 7th and Park where GW&L is now. One day I guess PSE &G said ‘enough’ and cut all the shoes down.

74
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x