Hoboken Week in Review – 7/15/2007
Who says weekends are uneventful in Hoboken during the summer?
We were bone dry for six hours yesterday, City Hall took some action on a dangerous intersection, pedestrians still getting whacked, Hoboken smells bad in certain parts, and controversy still lingers in the Fourth Ward. What else was covered last week?
Feel free to send tips, rants, comments, and suggestions to: Hoboken411@gmail.com. You can even buy 411 a drink now!
News, items of importance:
- Wa-Wa! – In the big news story, an absent minded contractor leaves 10’s of thousands of area residents dehydrated and pungent.
- No More – A local Hoboken businessman tragically takes his own life.
- Awful Art – A punk shows off his terrible graffiti skills on neighborhood properties.
- Neigborhood Disparity – One reader questions loitering near the Housing Projects, and selective enforcement. Many readers get upset with this topic.
- Action! – After 411 reported yet another incident at a dangerous intersection right next to City Hall, something is done about it.
- Parking Parking – An age-old issue gets drummed up, and debate ensues. “You live in a city, get used to it!”
- Fourth Ward resurrected? – About two weeks left till the court case Mr. Campos filed is heard.
- Washed Out – The Jubilee Center Car Wash fundraiser is cut short. Will wait till next week to get filthy vehicle hosed off.
New, Updated or Coming Soon:
- Uptown 14th & Willow – The Rite-Aid expanding and condos planned for the lot adjacent to it. Environmental scrubbing included at no charge.
- MetroTel – Payphones and internet kiosks making a comeback. I wonder how this site looks on those fruity devices?
- At the “Y” – Local YMCA offering summer trial memberships.
- Threads for tots – A hip new clothing store for kids expects to make a splash by Labor Day.
- Porno Moose is Loose – Emack & Bolio’s completes it’s makeover and transition from Mola Coffee.
Leaving Town, screwed, or mucked up:
- Nothing this week – except clean water on Saturday
- Have Mercy on me – A Hoboken411 reader submits his quick afternoon lunch review for the popular Mercy Grill restaurant downtown.
- Get out – I swing by a Irish pub/restaurant in Jersey City after driving past it for the past few years without ever stepping foot inside.
Reader Mail Bag:
- Sublet – A reader wonders about municipal parking and whether you can re-rent the spots.
Fun, Games, Miscellaneous Stuff:
- Award – Hoboken resident Mary Beth Asher gets recognized.
- Ewwww! – Poll to determine the smelliest place in Hoboken.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Burnin’ down the House – The annual “let’s set fire to the cliff” party was a raging success.
Recent Town Incidents: