Hoboken Week in Review: 8/14/2011
Weekly Recap for Hoboken, NJ – August 14, 2011
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, August 14th, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- HUMC – Hmmmm – More unpleasant and shady news about HUMC this week. We try to sort through the fluff coming out of city hall.
- “Viaduct-O-Rin” – I just invented a new local painkiller that you’ll want once the entire uptown area becomes a construction headache as they re-build the ramp to the heights.
- Hoboken hates everyone except bicyclists – These awful bike lanes (read: social conditioning paint stripes) get the special treatment, while folks who touch their feet to the pavement are left to dry.
- Hoboken Anti-Hole – The street collapse rehabilitation uptown is complete. We’d be on part 187 if this was a Harry Potter movie series.
- Injured Animals! – A handy list of what you should do if you encounter an injured animal in Hoboken.
Hoboken Crime & Incidents
- Dead Hoarder – A compulsive hoarder is found dead downtown, after decomposing in his apartment for almost two weeks!
- Dead by the Cliff – A 34 year-old man was found dead near the light rail tracks on the west side of town.
- Nefarious Maxwell Place – The concrete pier on the waterfront is a haven for booze drinking & graffiti writing
- Blotter Updates – See the Hoboken Police Blotter category to get first dibs on Mile Square crimes, fires and other incidents.
Business Updates & Events
- San Giuseppe Coal Oven Pizza – Hoboken’s pizza tsunami continues, with another new restaurant coming soon uptown.
- Pilsener Haus & Biergarten – Opens up after much anticipation
- Havana Cafe & Lounge – New bar which replaces Hoboken’s only gay bar.
- Augie’s Wine – Great beer selection and free delivery – another reason to support local businesses.
- That’s Amore! – Viola Vita brings back hot Italian bags and accessories to doll up ladies this fall.
- Home Depot Goliath – Another Hoboken hardware store on the brink.
- Hoboken Photographs – See the new entries for the Photo of the Day series.
- Weekend Movies – Clearview Cinemas movie times and movie preview!
Today in History
- 1935:The Social Security Act becomes law in the United States. Are you surprised it lasted this long?