Hoboken Week in Review: 7/24/2011
How did you survive the heat?
Today may be very warm – but nothing compared to the crazy sweltering heat we had! Watch for some minor relief this week, and another super-hot spell towards next weekend. Gripes!
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, July 24, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- U2 visits Hoboken – Bono & The Edge stay at the W Hotel – and eat local Belgian Fries!
- Raw Sewage in the Hudson – Cancels anticipated kayaking excursion.
- More Hoboken Sinkholes – A treacherous hole in the road proves to be hazardous to residents.
- Council Meeting – The city council met last week to trade barbs.
- Where’s the love for lunch trucks? – As the economy falters – local businesses look for people to blame for their woes.
- You OK with Cell Towers over your head? – More communication towers being installed around town. Should you worry about your health and safety yet?
- NY Waterway getting upgraded – As the Lackawanna Terminal is getting closer to opening.
PipePark Dreams – For what seems like forever, all the SW part of Hoboken has gotten is talk. Not parks. Just incessant chatter about parks.
- Reaching out to the community – Hoboken cops do good for residents & kids.
- Karate Discipline – Hoboken Housing Authority kids learn the positive world of Karate.
Hoboken Crime & Incidents
- Doing Dope by the River – Drug use is obvious near luxury condos in Hoboken based on the evidence left behind.
- Creepy Videographer – Residents express concern over the motivation one man had for filming kids in a park.
- Pizza Pilfering – One of Hoboken’s newest pizza restaurants gets burglarized.
- Blotter Updates – See the Hoboken Police Blotter category to get first dibs on Mile Square crimes, fires and other incidents.
Business Updates & Events
- St. Ann’s Italian Festival – Ends in a few days!
- Dog Wash expands – Hoboken’s doggie salon doubles in size. Congratulations!
- Cooper’s Union – The newest bar in Hoboken at the moment opens last week.
- Hoboken Pizza Pie down south – You can have Mile Square Pizza in Texas!
- V Spot Nail Spa – Another nail salon to add to the list to open uptown.
- Affordable lunch – Pizza Republic offers a solid value lunch special.
- Hoboken Photographs – See the new entries for the Photo of the Day series.
- Weekend Movies – Clearview Cinemas movie times and movie preview!