Hoboken Week in Review – 5/13/2007
Other than the election and impending runoffs, week was rather slow, wasn’t it?
Here are some highlights from the entries of the past week.
As usual, you can send tips, rants, comments, suggestions, mail order brides, RFI’s, breaking news, flirts, and inspiration to: Hoboken411@gmail.com.
News, items of importance:
- Runoff elections are June 12th – For the 4th, 5th, and 6th wards. Please don’t let your opportunity to make a difference go to waste. Funny how some people would rather send a TXT message and vote for their favorite American Idol singer. Sheesh!
- Fox Hills Fire – An early morning fire critically injures a woman.
- Postponed, but not forgotten – More legal delay tactics keep Councilman Campos off the firing line for a few more weeks.
- Candidates Central – A good starting point for all things related to the City Council elections.
- Election Central – Maps, voting locations, etc. Bookmark that page for future reference.
- Artsy Fartsy – Perfect weather for last weeks heavily trafficked Arts & Music Festival.
- It’s Hoboken, not Philly – Southeast Pennsylvania fans have a place to watch their games. Trash talk ensues on Hoboken411.
New, Updated or Coming Soon:
- Dubya Hotel – Not Bush, but a progress report about the new W Hotel being built on the waterfront.
- Lack-a-good-design – Some people are disappointed by bland renovations happening to the exterior of the Lackawanna train terminal.
- Exorcised – Seems as if the perpetually doomed location the old Venue restaurant was located has new life.
- Musically risky? – A refreshing change on the high-rent main drag has some people wondering if it’s already doomed.
- Makeover – Hobson’s, the popular corner PATH bar is in the middle of a whole facade re-do.
- Other than the losing council candidates, didn’t catch any doomed locations last week.
- None in the past week, but a few new ones coming this week.
Fun, Games and Miscellaneous stuff:
- 25k – The 411 comments section quickly reaches another milestone.
- Gulp! – Yesterday, a reader wonders about our tap water.
- Parks (or lack thereof) – Inspires me to make a “spoof” Hoboken tourism guide.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Gun exposed – Some punk is a tough guy for showing a gun. He wouldn’t be doing that if we all had guns, right?
Recent Town Incidents:
- Incident Map – Crime map has been a bit light over the past few weeks, right? I thought by providing the free streaming “podcast” of the LIVE police and fire scanner, more people would be willing to send in little reports to help populate the map. Plan isn’t working! I may have to discontinue this (much to the delight of the HPD).