Hoboken Week(s) in Review – 5/6/2007
Today’s the big twice-annual Arts & Music Festival.
Skipped last week’s summary, so here are some highlights from the 75 entries of the past two weeks.
As always, you can send tips, rants, comments, suggestions, massage parlor reviews, fruity photos, motivational posters, and flirts to: Hoboken411@gmail.com.
News, items of importance:
love hateare unsure of campaign signs – “Do as I say, not as I do” as the grey line of illegal election signs both past and present bore us all to tears.
- Candidates Announced – Election is less than TWO days away. Catch up and vote on Tuesday.
- Poll-riffic – Keep checking the unscientific reader poll about the council candidates.
- Trolls – Try to invade the political discussion here, 411 does his best to squelch them.
- Wrong! – Some people think this site was biased for the election candidates. Nope. Maybe the rest of the site has some slanted opinions, but not for the election!
- Jubi-licious – Fundraiser is a success for the Jubilee center over at the Historical Museum. See long-time resident’s quality photos.
- Milling around – Today’s arts and music festival tests the patience of those that are fast-paced walkers.
- Wash. Rinse. Repeat. – Candidates Forums wasn’t as spectacular as anticipated as election hopefuls say much of what had already been said.
- Wiley is old – But going strong as they celebrated 200 years in business.
New or Coming Soon:
- Helmers – The scaffolding is down, and work seems nearly done. Wenn sie sich öffnen?
- Doggie Hotel – Hoboken Unleashed takes over for the previous Graceland, and tries to make a new name for themselves.
- Sleep Cheap (south) – Cramped furniture store nudges downtown by a few doors.
- Beautifully less rich – The PSE&G bills must be really high for the new hair salon charging a lot for a blow dry.
- Waterfront wasteland – Super location is apparently mismanaged and vacant. Less agita for frequenters of the riverside.
- Less pigeon droppings – The much maligned Tonic Bar uptown is apparently closing it’s doors.
- Oh Mama Mia! – A Hoboken resident’s new favorite Mexican restaurant on the outskirts of town closes for personal reasons.
- D3O6N6E3 – I’m telling you it was the confusing signs that made this place close.
- No recent reviews.
Fun, Games and Miscellaneous stuff:
- “I Like” – An entry to show our appreciation for Hoboken.
- Boo! – The entry for Rants gets 3X the responses. I wonder why?
- Real Estate Discussion – Talk about the future of housing.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Working Fire – While renovating, pilot light engulfs brownstone on 8th St.
- Last stop: Flaming corner – A City shuttle bus bursts into flames. Thank god no one ate chili that night.
- In a Jamb – Odd how a window sill could start smoldering.
Recent Town Incidents: