Hoboken Week in Review – 4/8/2007
Happy Rabbit Day in Hoboken!
Yes, political season is in full swing, and my apologies in advance to people that don’t care to hear about it. Frankly, it gets to me sometimes as well. However, if you do live in Hoboken, your vote matters regardless if you haven’t been interested in what all this crap means. I’m sure one of your friends or acquaintances are concerned, and have an idea of who they’re voting for and why. So if you want the Cliff-Notes version of Hoboken politics, just ask them who they’re voting for and do the same. Make a night out of it. Go grab a drink afterwards. But not if it’s at 7:00 in the morning. That wouldn’t be the greatest idea.
Let’s set the all-time record for voter turnout for a council election!
Send tips, comments, suggestions, stories, sweet poems, stale-candy, cash money and pictures to: Hoboken411@gmail.com.
FYI, I’d like to take a week off sometime in the future and am looking for volunteer contributors. If you’d like to tell a story about Hoboken, do some investigative reporting, review a restaurant, or add something to your résumé, please contact me to make arrangements. All the readers are what makes 411 tick, so why not get your name on top, instead of buried in the comments section?
News, items of importance:
- Pedi-CAB, not Pedicure! – This story pedaled it’s way into the headlines this week. We should give it a trial run and see how it works.
- Up in Smoke – Some Stevens kids are in trouble for alleged involvement with a mellow drug.
- Hoboken Witch Trial – Rumors abound about some “inappropriate” actions by a school faculty member.
- Timber! – Jungle gym in park makes tree sad. Tree goes bye bye.
- Candidates Announced – The council races continue to heat up. Some readers still don’t like politics.
- Candidates Invited – Open still offer to all candidates, their loss if they choose to express themselves elsewhere.
- Cricc-Go – 5th Ward incumbent “un-incumbentizes” himself .
- Persistent Park Problems – The Southwest Redevelopment Plan is still a hot button topic.
- Channel 78 – Bi-weekly Council recap.
- EMS Blood Drive – Reminder! Give blood tomorrow!
- Spruce your walls up – Upcoming art auction benefiting the Hoboken Rotary Club and more.
- Coming Soon – Our twice annual festival is creeping up.
- Starry Night Movies – Spend Wednesday night at the pier watching some random movie.
New or Coming Soon (lots):
- Pizza! Pizza! – Napoli’s Brick Oven pizza finally opens! Uptown residents rejoice.
- Knitty Gritty – Patricia’s Yarns moves a few blocks south.
- Rub a dub dub – Relaxation takes the place of spine relief uptown.
- Paper weight – Luscious Paper seems to have been harshly evicted.
- Mini Review – Of a chicken quesadilla at the once excellent Farside Bar.
Fun, Games and Miscellaneous stuff:
- Some political satire – Fun with photos HERE and HERE.
- April Fools Joke gone awry – I guess my goof was a little too close to reality in light of recent events.
- What Sucks? – Local writer/comedian Chris Deluca chimes in with his perspective about Hoboken’s pharmacies. Some people liked it, others didn’t. Collectively it was pretty funny.
- Tune up – A quick 411 instructional lesson on how to use the site better.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Damn Cars! – Another pedestrian is injured. Status unknown.
Recent Town Incidents: