American Cancer Society – Relay For Life
Jen sends her thanks to various outlets, including The Reporter and Hoboken411.
There’s hardly a person whose life has not been affected by cancer. That’s why events that benefit the American Cancer Society – like its flagship Relay For Life – really help change (and save) lives. Relay brings communities together to support cancer research, advocacy and education, while celebrating life and cancer survivorship. The Fifth Annual Hoboken Relay For Life will be on May 19, from 11 a.m. to 12 midnight. Team members will take turns walking and running around beautiful Pier A, while camping out, dancing, raising awareness and just plain having fun, over 12 life-enriching hours.
The Relay events, however, start long before May 19. Last Wednesday March 21, about 20 bachelors bravely climbed on stage to auction themselves off to a crowd of over 150 and raise money for Hoboken’s Relay For Life. These gentlemen (and their generous bidders) raised over $2,000! Thanks to everyone who was a part of making this night an exciting success, and especially to Texas Arizona for loaning us their venue, along with giving other charitable contributions!
That evening was just the beginning of the fun and fund-raising. Whether you join a Relay team or create your own, donate to the cause before or come out to support May 19, there’s something for everyone who wants to work for this urgent cause. Who do we need?
- Survivors and Caregivers – Join your community to celebrate life. Inspire others and help kick off the Relay For Life by walking in the Survivor Lap.
- Groups – Local companies, community groups, civic associations, religious organizations, schools, etc. are encouraged to participate. Form a Relay For Life team or become a sponsor. Sponsorships can be tailored to meet a group’s ability to give.
- Committee Members – Many different committees are now forming in areas such as entertainment, games, food, prizes, etc.
- Event Volunteers – Volunteers are needed to assist with registration, participation, team recruitment, etc.
If you would like to volunteer, donate or find out how to build a team for Hoboken’s American Cancer Society Relay For Life, call 1-800-ACS-2345 or visit www.cancer.org/relay/nj/hoboken.
Thank you for all your support and helping to make this Relay For Life bigger and better than ever!
2007 Hoboken Relay For Life Planning Committee
2nd Annual Bachelor Auction
Calling all girls (and guys)! The American Cancer Society is hosting its 2nd Annual Bachelor Auction benefiting the Relay For Life of Hoboken. Bachelors include Hoboken residents Tom Finocchio, John Tuttle, Jack Koch, Matt Lovecchio, RFL Co-Chair Mike Linn and many others! Bachelor Meet & Greet and distribution of Bachelor catalogs starts at 8pm, auction starts at 9pm. Bidding starts at $5, and cash, credit cards and checks made out to American Cancer Society will be accepted. Drink specials include $2 domestics, no cover.
Where?: Texas Arizona
When?: Wednesday, March 21st – 8pm
Disclaimer: ACS isn’t responsible for what happens after the bachelor has been “purchased.” It is up to the “couple” to organize and pay for the date.
See past Relay for Life stuff below.
Cancer survivors rally to support American Cancer Society
- The Relay For Life kick-off rally is when families, caregivers, cancer survivors, schools, companies, etc. come together to celebrate the beginning of the Relay For Life season. Relay For Life will take place in Hoboken on May 19, 2007.
- The American Cancer Society Relay For Life is a community celebration where individuals and teams camp out, barbecue, dance, and take turns walking or running around a track “relay” style to raise funds to fight cancer. At nightfall, participants will light hundreds of luminary candles around the track in a moving ceremony honor cancer survivors as well as remembering those lost to the disease. The American Cancer Society Relay For Life represents hope in that those lost to cancer will not be forgotten, that those who face cancer will be supported, and that one day, cancer will be eliminated.
- Started in 1985, Relay For Life began with one man who walked and ran around a track for 24 hours raising $27,000. This year, Relay For Life will take place in more than 4,500 communities and is expected to raise well over $300 million.
- The American Cancer Society encourages anyone wishing to honor cancer survivors and caregivers, or pay tribute to those who have lost their battle with cancer to attend the Relay For Life kick-off to find out more about the Relay for Life event in Hoboken.
- Tuesday, February 6, 2007 at 7:30pm
- Mile Square Bar & Grill
221 Washington St., Hoboken, NJ 07030