Hoboken Health Corner: October 2010
Fall Season Health Tips
By Leslie Goldstein, RD
It’s that time of year again when jackets come out of storage and people start to crave warm soups… The weather in Hoboken has been chilly recently!
Make sure to stay on top of your health before the winter arrives!
Below are a few tips for the fall season:
EAT YOUR WAY HEALTHY!
- Antioxidants- these remove free radicals or toxins that suppress the immune system.
- Vitamin C— oranges, strawberries, mango, red pepper, broccoli, sweet potato
- Vitamin A— carrots, dark green vegetables
- Vitamin E— whole grains, nuts
- Zinc- is used in the body to fight infections and help new cells form
- Lean red meat, poultry, beans, nuts & fortified whole grains
- Protein- helps build and maintain muscle
- Chicken, fish, beans, lean red meat, tofu, milk, yogurt, cheese
This reduces stress and protects the immune system
DON’T OVER EAT!
Eating too much can REDUCE immunity–don’t load up on sugar and fat!
WASH YOUR HANDS!
This is the easiest way to reduce germs!
Some healthy Halloween treats!
- Banana ghosts- cover banana in coconut, add chocolate chips for eyes and freeze
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Mini popcorn balls- popcorn with dried fruit, sunflower seeds, almonds. Combine honey, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Heat and mix with ingredients.
- For trick or treaters- Mini granola bars, unsalted pretzels, whole grain crackers, sugar free gum, fruit leathers made with 100% fruit
- Small toys are great too instead of candy–rings, erasers, bracelets, bubbles, spinning tops, small rubber balls
About Leslie Goldstein, RD
Leslie Goldstein is a Registered Dietitian (RD) practicing in North Bergen and Hoboken, New Jersey. Leslie is an avid exerciser who combines her nutrition knowledge and passion with motivational support in counseling to help her clients make lifestyle changes. Leslie specializes in weight management, general wellness, Diabetes, bariatric surgery, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. Leslie accepts most major insurances. 8100 Kennedy Blvd. North Bergen, NJ 07047 Ph: 201-866-6770 Email: LeslieGoldsteinRD@gmail.com
Stay tuned for next month’s column!