Hoboken Week in Review – 10/25/2009
What a week in Hoboken!
Yikes! So many stories this week, it was hard to choose the top entries for the Hoboken411 Week in Review – so a nice “super-sized” entry for this week!
So what made the most noteworthy entries for the week ending Sunday, October 25th, 2009?
A mile square town can make your head spin!
By far the most important story of the week was news of the Westboro Baptists coming to town to ruffle feathers!
How attractive will Hoboken’s new cinema be for out-of-towners, when they already have their own theaters?
One Hoboken resident feels he’s being unfairly (and unnecessarily) targeted by local cops.
- OH BOY, POLITICS…
Here’s a summary of some of the more noteworthy political items of the week…
- More and more Hoboken residents are suspecting SOMETHING FISHY is going on with Zimmer and our BUDGET.
- An over-zealous political fanatic once again gets overly emotional about inanimate political posters.
- The City Council had another ridiculously long meeting stuffed with condescending tone and what some consider outright LIES.
- Mayoral Candidate Kimberly Glatt issues a press release indicating disapproval for how the acting Mayor is, well, acting.
- Beth Mason launches another TV spot, along with a message about her plan to save Hoboken.
- Developer Frank Raia also is polishing his video skills with a commercial of his own…
The ridiculous plan to build yet more unnecessary high-rise waterfront towers was withdrawn by the developer after they saw the community disapproval here on Hoboken411!
Does Hoboken benefit in any way, shape or form by having crude pictures of bicycles on the pavement?
Resurrected a post from the summer about things Hoboken desperately needs. Ideas keep coming – is anyone paying attention?
One Hoboken411 reader claims they were nearly run down by a speeding HPD car – should they issue a complaint?
I may have been harsh saying that people that leave valuables in plain sight “deserve” what they get. This leads to conversation with widely varying opinions…
Several readers feel one dentist in Hoboken is just taking advantage of patients for greed and monetary gain.
Hoboken411 believes many residents are stuck in their “neck of the woods” and rarely explore town. Are you one of them?
Another mysterious smell invades the NYC tri-state area. No word on what the heck it was.
I happen to love the new high-tech street lamps being installed throughout Hoboken – some residents feel they may be TOO bright!
The Hoboken taxi rules are clear, yet most yellow cab drivers abuse them. How do you feel about that crap?
- NOW OPEN: Yep – Clearview Cinemas finally opened, and now Hoboken is home to a new theater.
- REVIEWED: New Portuguese BBQ restaurant Piri Piri is reviewed by Hoboken411…
- RE-LOCATED: Downtown interior design store moves uptown to 14th and Shipyard.
See what’s happening this week on Hoboken411 event calendar!
- Hoboken House Tour – check out what your neighbors have that you don’t! (TODAY)
- Mayoral Debate – This Wednesday at Stevens!
- Scary Halloween Stories – told at Sybil’s Cave this Halloween!
- Baseball Fever – Will theYankees make it to the World Series today?
- The Fastest Bartender Contest also continues this week…
- The Downtown Farmers Market on Tuesday – ENDING SOON!!
- After you stock up on veggies- have a beer and test your trivia skills at Mikie Squared on Tuesday
- The Uptown Farmers Market on Thursday – ALSO ENDING SOON!!
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it.”– Samuel Johnson