Hoboken Week(s) in Review – 7/12/2009
Double the fun!
Last weekends Independence Day festivities caused an overdose of patriotism, which led to the absence of an entire Hoboken Week in Review entry! So we double up today to see what’s happened in Hoboken the past couple weeks!
So what made the most discussed entries for the two weeks ending Sunday, July 12th, 2009?
Hottest general topics of the week(s)
Our new Mayor Peter Cammarano has been quite busy his first two weeks…
Hoboken411 provides you with the dirt from the first “new look” city council meeting.
Ahhh – now you can watch LIVE city council meetings! We just got even lazier!
No, not what you think. The new pedestrian bridge between Hoboken and Jersey City is almost ready!
No, not one of the apparent millions of new toddlers in town – the Pier C Park project that is at a snails pace.
A Puerto Rican street festival quietly takes place. Readers share their thoughts about it.
So much for global warming – we had the coldest June in over 50 years!
No, not the new city council being unified and decisive – I’m debating buying an iPhone!
A found cat makes an appearance on 411, melting everyone’s hearts.
- SAD (AND DRUNK!)
This just happened the other day, but poor Artie Lange drives inebriated on his way to promote himself!
- Doomed: Goldhawk Bar poured it’s final drink last night – the Life is good store on Washington is shutting down (50% off now!), and seems like Avenue Bar is for sale.
- Updated: The old Tonic Bar is supposed to become a daycare facility, and two Hoboken banks merge – BCB and Pamrapo.
- New: Pizza Republic opened quite quickly! – And the quiet Maroon Coffee Shop got some positive reviews.
- Coming Soon: “Central Jersey’s” popular hot dog and burger joint Windmill (5th and Court) – The final stage of the NJ Transit Terminal renovations (Ferry Service) – and another Italian Ice place: Ralph’s (8th and Washington.)
- REVIEWED: A Hoboken411 reader contributes a Marisa’s Pizza review – and yours truly re-visits a fantastic pizza restaurant in North Bergen: Trattoria La Sorrentina!
See what’s happening this week on Hoboken411 event calendar!
- Learn about steam engines at the 1907 Yankee Ferry
- Get your Shakespeare on…
- Don’t forget the Downtown and Uptown Farmers Markets!
- And support your local YMCA at Maxwell’s!
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.”– Albert Einstein