What happened to the speed bumps?

12/18/2009 Update:

More Hoboken411 readers have sent in emails about this intersection at 13th and Hudson.

Still no speedbumps, still dangerous

“The intersection at 13th and Hudson is sick. Drivers ignore the hardly visible pedestrian right of way sign, and the lack of speedbumps allows cars to blaze by at 50mph. I’m getting sick and tired of the lack of responsiveness from town hall. I’ve sent messages with zero response. If our elected, taxpayer funded politicians don’t care about the quality of life in Hoboken, maybe that new Police Chief Falco could intervene? He’s the only one that seems to be making progress in town. Perhaps a daily speed trap? Either way, I want to see those speedbumps come back NOW. It’s dangerous for our children and senior citizens.

Speedy intersection at 13th and Hudson Hoboken NJ

See previous updates after the jump!

3/17/2009:

Hudson Street Speedway

Not one, but several readers emailed Hoboken411 wondering what happened to the speed bumps and pedestrian crosswalk signs that were installed at the intersection of 13th and Hudson Streets.

As you might know, this is a rather busy intersection, where commuters walk to and from the ferry, and local residents do much of their shopping. I witnessed it first hand, how cars were literally going at highway speeds down the road.

My suspicion is that this is part of the street paving that’s scheduled for this year – however, no attempt was made by the city to inform residents of the schedule, and expected completion date, etc. As it stands now – the street is hazardous to cross.

missing-speed-bumps-13th-and-hudson-hoboken.jpg

You may also like...

29 Comments
Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
truth1
truth1
Friday, December 18, 2009 2:32 pm

We need EET, Education, Enforcement and Technolgy: The camera stop signs, traffic lights, and selected crosswalks. Safety is the main objective and the fines will more than pay for the equipment.

animal_lover
animal_lover
Friday, December 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Cameras can be very effective. Even small cities have them and it eliminates people going to court as the proof is in the film which can be viewed by the ticketed driver right on-line.

I don’t think that the street is hazardous, but the drivers certainly are.

plywood
plywood
Friday, December 18, 2009 10:06 am

Back in medieval times, they used to make the speed bumps out of asphalt. Is there some reason that is a bad idea? Seems more durable. However rumble strips get you basically the same place. Anything that has to be re-habed annually seems like a bad budget decision.

truth1
truth1
Friday, December 18, 2009 9:05 am

Our low speed bumps do not hinder drivers speeding. In fact, when they are going on streets that intersect with a stop sign street, they speed up. Again, the solution is education and enforcement. For example, do drivers know that when someone IS IN THE CROSSWALK, it is the NJ law that drivers must yield. But they can’t run into the crosswalk while the car is coming and expect it to stop. The same goes for the proper riding of bikes and the jogging public needs training. Police Chief Falco is on the right course. Consistent enforcement is the other key factor. Thanks.

Easy-E
Easy-E
Reply to  truth1
Friday, December 18, 2009 9:40 am

I don’t know how true that is, I’ve never seen someone accelerate over a speed bump.

I saw a guy tearing ass up 1st the other night, blew through the intersection at 50 MPH at least. No way to do that if there’s a speed bump every so often.

In response to truth1 who said:

Our low speed bumps do not hinder drivers speeding. In fact, when they are going on streets that intersect with a stop sign street, they speed up. Again, the solution is education and enforcement. For example, do drivers know that when someone IS IN THE CROSSWALK, it is the NJ law that drivers must yield. But they can’t run into the crosswalk while the car is coming and expect it to stop. The same goes for the proper riding of bikes and the jogging public needs training. Police Chief Falco is on the right course. Consistent enforcement is the other key factor. Thanks.

mooshu
mooshu
Reply to  Easy-E
Friday, December 18, 2009 10:00 am

I don’t know about residents so much, but cabs definitely accelerate over a speed hump. After that, the roll through a STOP sign. It is the most annoying behavior.

I love that truth1 mentions that cyclists and joggers in Hoboken need training as well. Agreed.

In response to Easy-E who said:

I don’t know how true that is, I’ve never seen someone accelerate over a speed bump.

I saw a guy tearing ass up 1st the other night, blew through the intersection at 50 MPH at least. No way to do that if there’s a speed bump every so often.

homeworld
homeworld
Friday, December 18, 2009 8:41 am

I hate the drivers that have SUVs but come to complete stops at speed bumps. Leave your precious SUV home if you’re afraid to drive over a speed bump at more than 2 MPH.

plywood
plywood
Reply to  homeworld
Friday, December 18, 2009 9:07 am

C’mon, it’s hard to text and drive a military issue one income family 20 foot SUV over a speed bump at the same time.

In response to homeworld who said:

I hate the drivers that have SUVs but come to complete stops at speed bumps. Leave your precious SUV home if you’re afraid to drive over a speed bump at more than 2 MPH.

29
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x