Having problems with your architect?


One Hoboken411 reader is completely fed up with one particular architect in town, and as a result, details how you can make formal complaints against (any) architect or planner in Hoboken:

hoboken architect complaints - Having problems with your architect?

How to lodge a complaint

There is one really awful McNeightmare of an architect in Hoboken who is continually at the heart of building & construction problems around town and the time has come for the people of Hoboken who are affected by his lack of adherence to the laws of his profession to go on record and make formal complaints. Below are the FAQs from the State of NJ Board of Architects & the complaint form that goes to the Attorney General office.

New Jersey State Board of Architects – Frequently Asked Questions – For Consumers

1. What are my rights as a consumer if I have a complaint against an Architect or architectural business?
Every consumer has a right to file a complaint against an Architect or architectural business.

2. How do I file a complaint against an Architect with the Board?
All complaints must be filed in writing using the New Jersey State Board of Architects’ complaint form which can be found at http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/complaint/archcom.pdf. You may also call the Board to have the form mailed to you if you do not have access to the Web. Please complete the complaint form and return it to the following address:

New Jersey State Board of Architects
124 Halsey Street
P.O. Box 45001
Newark, NJ 07101

Planner problems too

The same McNeightmare of an architect is also a NJ certified Planner & sees fit to ignore his responsibilities as a planner when hired as an architect, here’s the planner complaint form.

Do you have any “Architect Nightmare” stories to tell?

You may also like...

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Friday, July 18, 2008 3:09 pm

You go to the planning dept and ask to see the plans for the
building with the balconies hanging over the street. You ask as a taxpayer. If they give you static, you go to your council person, or your block association head. Ask the city planner to help you. Take a look at the plan showing the
terraces and the sidewalks. Ask for a photocopy if you want one. Usually planners are very helpful.
The architect’s drawings are usually nothing like what is built by the builder in situations like this. Ask the planner who approved these drawings.The drawings might be perfectly fine. Ask to see the inspection reports on the building and see if the latest inspection covered the period when the overhanging terraces were built. Often the inspection
has not yet been carried out. Ask for a written letter from the planning dept explaining the deviation, if one was granted. Were variances to the offset rules granted? Were they including or excluding the balconies? How does the planning department (Planning Board) interpret these in regards to balconies? Ask the Planning Board secretary, a planner by law, I think. This issue has
popped up in Jersey City too. If you are really mad about this issue, you can do something about it. Finally, ask to address the board and be put on the agenda. Ask to read your letter regarding this problem into the minutes of the meeting.
Ask for a response. Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Anyone have any contractor complaints?

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Whoever submitted this vitriol has to first come to terms with the definition of ‘consumer’. I doubt that anyone who doesn’t like the way a building looks or has some personal bug up their butt has the right to file a complaint against an architect or any licenses professional. And while your at it – why not file complaints against the general contractor, the electrician and the plumber? They’re licenses too. I believe ‘consumer’ in this case means the party who paid for work done by that professional. Geez. Get a life.

Hoboken Biker
Hoboken Biker
Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:41 am

Mcneight is certified as an architect [license # 21AI00862600] and has testified as a certified planner although I can’t find his license #. The point is he regularly plays the game of I wasn’t hired as a planner on this job, I’m just the architect. That doesn’t fly with what the duties of being licensed are all about. Extreme comparison – a cop is always a cop 24/7, can’t say I’m not being a cop today because I’m hanging out. A number of years ago he was unable to practice for a certain period of time becasue of a problem with his license.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:25 pm

At that same zoning board meeting, McKnight said he’s been an architect 30 years and practiced in Hoboken since 1984 but feigned ignorance when asked about balcony limitations over sidewalks…balconies he designed over those sidewalks.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x