Reader Mail: Carbon Monoxide detectors
Another Hoboken411 reader shares the importance of making sure your CO detectors are operational, as well as a big shout-out to the Hoboken Fire Department.
“Hi, love your site read it every day.
I wanted to share a story with you about the importance of carbon monoxide detectors. I had been experiencing headaches for the last few days when my CO detector woke me up out of a deep sleep yesterday. I called the HFD and they came by, checked out my unit and noticed elevated levels of CO. They checked out the other units in the building to find that the unit below mine was actually experiencing the leak (faulty under serviced furnace) the guy downstairs was unaware of the leak. There was about ten times more CO in his unit than mine. The HFD officer informed me that “had my alarm not detected the CO, that guy would have died.” His CO detector was unplugged.
I cannot stress the importance enough of making sure your CO detector is not only plugged in (battery works, etc) but is in good working condition. Living in Hoboken, since we’re basically living on top of one another, it could not only save your life, but that of a neighbor.
Also, the HFD is awesome. They should be commended on their professionalism, promptness and care for the community they serve. They were wonderful in making sure I was ok and answered my endless questions and concerns, even hours after the incident (I called them with additional concerns later on in the day and was connected to the Captain who helped me within minutes.)”
Way to go once again, Hoboken Fire Department!