Red Lion Coffee
Red Lion Coffee opens at 14th & Bloomfield in Hoboken
Good news for those who appreciate a truly good coffee! Red Lion Coffee at 1320 Bloomfield Street officially opened for business today!
Why is Red Lion Coffee better than other Hoboken coffee shops?
Red Lion Coffee is more than just a basic coffee shop. There are quite a few aspects of this new business that set it apart from other places, along with some promise that they will last a lot longer than previous tenants in this historically shaky spot.
- They source their coffee from locally based Kobrick’s Coffee (batches are actually roasted the day they’re delivered!) Their house blend is True Mocha-Java Blend (see review).
- The dairy comes from Hudson Valley Farms based in Poughkeepsie, NY – and when I tell you it was the creamiest I’d ever tasted my coffee – I’m not kidding. Delicious!
- And for the “treat” lovers – they sell baked goods, pastries and cookies from Balthazar as well as Milk & Cookies Bakery. Definitely high-end compared to packaged goods jammed with preservatives.
- All regular coffee is hand french-pressed. That is huge, because while it takes more effort – the coffee is that much more flavorful.
- And coming this spring – an outdoor seating area. While the shop is small on the inside, and meant for “to go” – once they have their outdoor seating, that will also help sustain the business. Because finally – passerby will actually know something is going on over there!
On another note – they had a very interesting “bottled” water, which was actually in a milk-carton type package. While other types of products have been sold like that for eons (milk, juice), this was the first time I saw water being sold like that. Good for the “eco-friendly” customers who hate plastic bottles, I guess.
Overall – the staff is friendly, and has expertise to know how to operate their La Marzocco GB5 – which is the “Ferrari” of espresso machines, and is no shintzy “toy.” Has to be done right, by qualified individuals.
Hours are from 6:30am to 7:00pm – although they intend to adjust hours if customer demand warrants it.
We will be making Red Lion Coffee a regular stop (sorry Starbucks guys!)
Description: Red Lion Coffee shop
Address: 1320 Bloomfield Street, Hoboken, NJ 07030
Red Lion Coffee – 1320 Bloomfield St. – Hoboken, NJ
Looks like Hoboken is getting ready to get amped up on caffeine in 2013! In addition to the bwè kafe that’s coming this spring to 10th & Washington, we have another new Java shop Red Lion Coffee set to test the Hoboken waters at 14th & Bloomfield. (Note I could be off on the official name – as someone related to an employee there provided the name off the top of their head – will update accordingly if necessary…)
This particular corner has not had any good luck over the past seven years. The following businesses came and left very quickly (and this doesn’t even include them all): My Urban Auctioneer, Santa Fe Touch, Life, Good Breed and Purple Diamondz. A kid’s barbershop called Cool Kids Cuts was going to open last year – but never got that far.
However, none of these places served food. And seeing that the Uptown Bagels owner John passed late last year and the store remains closed – a coffee and pastry shop on 14th Street is actually a very promising idea.
Do you think Red Lion Coffee would succeed at 14th & Bloomfield?