Hoboken Week in Review: 1/6/2013
Posted by: Hoboken411 at 05:54 am on January 6, 2013
Weekly Recap for Hoboken, NJ – January 6, 2013
Hope everyone has had a good start to 2013 so far (and avoided that nasty bug going around! WTF?)
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, January 6, 2013:
Politics and City Happenings
- New Year’s Day Fire – An evicted tenant causes a fire near 11th & Adams due to falling asleep on his sofa while smoking!
- What’s wrong with Zimmer? – A Hoboken parent grades our Mayor – and the results are NOT passing.
- Hoboken steals from drivers – City Hall gladly accepted meter payments – even though it was supposed to be free? How much? What are they going to do with the cash?
- Recovering from Sandy – We’re not 100% yet – but getting closer each week.
- Hoboken Charm? – City spends tens of thousands on posters that do no good.
- Charity or Publicity in Hoboken? – Residents hurt by Sandy may get a few hundred bucks – but local egomaniacs get all sorts of media attention. Who wins here?
- Gun Control. Really? – The attack on personal protection is suspicious to say the least.
Updates & Events
- Oddfellows bids farewell to Hoboken – Long time Cajun bar & restaurant closed it’s doors yesterday.
- Hertz On Demand or Hurts on the spot? – Resident recaps horrific customer service experience with our “Corner Cars.”
- Avis buys Zipcar – For $500 million. Wow! Maybe that’ll improve “car sharing” in Hoboken?
- Clearview Cinemas – Is back in full force. What movie will you see tonight?
- Blues Jam is Back – Saturday afternoon Jazz Jam finds a new home on the Avenue.
- PSE&G replacement? – You think you should change your power “provider?”
- Fresh-U Grill & Juice Bar – Replacing a very well-loved pizza place downtown.
- Newport Skates – Great outdoor skating rink withing walking distance of Hoboken.
Today in History
- On this day in 1907, Maria Montessori opens her first school and daycare center for working class children in Rome, Italy. Now countless schools are open across the world, like the Montessori School here in Hoboken!
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Acceptance by government of a dissident press is a measure of the maturity of a nation.”
– William Orville DouglassHoboken NJ