Hoboken Week in Review – 10/14/2007
Welcome new registered readers this week!
Weather is finally seasonal, but that has no bearing on the heat wave approaching local Hoboken politics in the 4th Ward.
Besides the mudslinging in town, we have important meetings coming up, a first-class restaurant that opened, October baseball and the usual shenanigans taking place in the Mile Square.
Please feel free to send tips, rants, comments, drinks and suggestions to: Hoboken411@gmail.com.
What other items were covered in the past week? Here’s a sampling:
News, items of importance & “Hot Topics”:
- No Spin Zone – 411 does work outside of this site. Haters try to spin it into something it’s not. Burn on them.
- A long light – Like a Christmas tree without electricity, a much-needed traffic light sits dormant in town.
- Local rag – The weekly fish wrap analysis.
- Nearly Criminal – The things that take place in our City Council meetings can be astonishing.
- Turtles – This 4th Ward race is more like seeing which coma patient can count 100 sheep first.
- More Spin – Assumptions are made with absentee ballots in the aforementioned race. How does anyone know how anyone voted?
- Holy _____ ! – Ongoing meetings and debate about a potential developer windfall at a defunct religious property.
- We need more
cowbellparks! – Progress on the SW6 proposal. Political posturing ensues.
Community Events & Local Sports:
- Awww, how cute! – The annual kid/dog Halloween parade is at the end of October.
- Flood-tastic – 4th Ward candidate Dawn Zimmer hosts a flood forum to discuss high-tech and less costly ways to alleviate flooding in Hoboken. No, tomatoes are NOT included.
- Woof! I mean Bark! – Fun, large-scale dog event to be held in nearby Liberty State Park.
- Take me out
to the ball gameof town – No local sports teams are in the hunt for the MLB World Series Championship.
- More doggie stuff – The annual pet parade is coming soon. Should Oscar march? He needs a costume.
New, Updated or Coming Soon:
- It turned me on! – The Turning Point restaurant is a slam dunk.
Leaving Town, screwed, or mucked up:
- Not a Hoboken business, but.. – A homeless sex-offender gets free lodging at the county jail for nodding off with a giant knife under his plush park bench.
- Yes, there is good food outside of Hoboken – What 411 (and others) feel is pizza incredible enough to leave town!
Reader Mail Bag:
- When will the moving scam stop? – Yet another Hoboken resident shafted by the sloppy pole advertising.
- More dormant traffic signals – A reader wonders why the speed limit signals near our schools remain in the dark.
Fun, Games, Miscellaneous Stuff:
- Pictures and Paragraphs – For last months Yankee ticket giveaway, readers write in about Ted & Jo’s, Liberty Bar, DC’s Tavern, Benny Tudino’s and even the Jesus Shrine!
- Hobotown – T.G. Heins’ cartoons are getting better each week!
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Fell off a truck – “White Van” stereo scammers are on everyone’s radar as of late. Some Hoboken411 readers are tone-deaf and enjoyed the cheap equipment.
Recent Town Incidents: