Hoboken Week in Review: 7/22/2012
Posted by: Hoboken411 on July 22nd at 05:57 am
Week in Review
Weekly Recap for Hoboken, NJ – July 22, 2012
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, July 22, 2012:
Politics and City Happenings
- Hoboken floods even with pump – Proof positive only one pump is an utter failure.
- iRobbery – Crafty criminals prey on unaware victims obsessed with iPhones and other technology.
- St. Ann’s Festival – Continues into next week.
- Drunk crash? – A chick apparently crashes drunk – no arrests, though.
- Motorcycles not safe in Hoboken – Either abused, or just plain “stolen.”
- GWB traffic headache – Months of inconvenient traffic truth.
- Hot weather fluff – Channel 7 Eyewitness news milks a summer story in Hoboken.
Updates & Events
- Music Gives Back – Stevens students step up for Cystic Fibrosis charity.
- Kolo Klub – Is more than just an event space – but cocktail lounge supreme!
- General Lumber – Re-opens after over 5 years since the blaze.
- A Central Park Wedding – Exquisite matrimonial planning right here in Hoboken!
- Teen stage acting class – Local theatre group prepares your kids for the spotlight.
- Local Barre expands – Fitness studio doubles Mile Square presence.
- Park & Sixth – What does this neighborhood need?
- Clearview Cinemas – New blockbuster movie debuts, and more (Buy your tickets online!)
- Movies Under the Stars – Continues through the summer (if they don’t get rained out each week!)
This week in History
- 1947: On July 26th of that year, then President Truman signed all sorts of extra government entities into creation: The CIA, DOD, USAF, Joint Chiefs of Staff and the National Security Council. Are we better off?
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage’s whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.”
– Ayn Rand