Hoboken Week in Review – 9/2/2007
Despite being “slow season”, Hoboken411 has been very active the past few months. With the “unofficial” end of Summer this weekend, and cooler weather around the corner, expect 411 to be hotter than ever!
As always, feel free to send tips, rants, comments, drinks and suggestions to: Hoboken411@gmail.com.
What fun & noteworthy items were covered in the past week?
News, items of importance & “Hot Topics”:
- Grass gets used. Once. – The Maxwell Place wiffle ball game gets media attention. Check the only video available here on Hoboken411.
- Mi casa, su casa – Recent down swings in the housing market stir up conversation.
- Documents seized – The feds are all in the Construction Code Office Head Honcho’s business.
- No license? No Problem. – A local bar may have failed to renew their liquor license. They remain open. Who do you know?
Community Events & Local Sports:
- Bake ‘dem Clams! – Waterfront restaurant in nearby Weehawken has their first annual Clam Bake BBQ TODAY.
- Tunes – New exhibit opens at the Hoboken Historical Museum.
- Hut Hut HIKE! – Hoboken’s cherished high school football team kicks off the fall season this week.
- All Aboard! – A local resident organizes a community day trip to Mohegan Sun Casino.
New, Updated or Coming Soon:
- Hoboken’s BBQ offerings double – Texas BBQ near the PATH hopes to lure sloppy drunks, so they can eat sloppy food!
- De-Luxe – New downtown shop for the ladies poised to open any day now.
- Twisted Carbs – Philly pretzel chain has their sights set on Hoboken.
- A venue called Avenue – The transformation from the old DaVinci restaurant is complete. Hoboken has a new bar to drink at!
- Lavish – Periodic update about the towering W Hotel by the waterfront.
- Club Sushi Gomez-itano – Popular guido club confuses everyone by adding sushi, with Cuban coming soon.
Leaving Town, screwed, or mucked up:
- No more skin food – Skincare “concept” store gives up on Hoboken, and heads to the more progressive left coast.
- No official reviews last week
Reader Mail Bag:
- Man Season is here – A couple readers ignite the conversation about where to kick it while watching football this season.
- Empty Handed – One reader gripes about how when his postal delivery person takes a vacation, he’s cut off from the snail mail world.
Fun, Games, Miscellaneous Stuff:
- Hobotown – Another weekly installment of T.G. Heins’ cartoon.
- Woof! – Hoboken411 tries to settle a bet about how many dogs are living in Hoboken (the canine kind, not the human ones)
- Surf – A quick convo about different ways to browse the net. A check back at last years 411 demographics.
- Guess where! – A mini “where is this?” photo quiz this time.
Notable incidents, crimes, fires:
- Garden Klepto – One lady takes liberties with other peoples property. Owner oddly does nothing about it.
- Shots are for Kids! – An underage drinker learns about “everything in moderation” the hard way .
Recent Town Incidents:
On an unrelated note, why was a street cleaner working at 7:30am on a Sunday during Labor Day weekend? He was driving around and randomly cleaning!