Hoboken Health Corner: March 2012
How do you deal with springtime allergies in Hoboken?
By Leslie Goldstein, RD
Don’t get me wrong, I have been loving the warmer winter weather we have been having this year in New Jersey, and I am certainly not complaining about the lack of snow and freezing temperatures! According to The Weather Channel, this winter has been the 4th warmest on record.
Have you noticed nasal congestion, itchy or watery eyes, sneezing, sinus pressure or dark circles?? You are not alone!
These are symptoms of allergies. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), hay fever (allergies) is the 5th leading chronic disease and a main cause of sick days at work.
Besides running back and forth to the doctors office, the below are some tips on how to minimize your allergy symptoms.
- Clear liquids such as soups or Jello help to decrease mucus and clear nasal congestion
- Add foods with omega 3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation, these include walnuts, salmon, flax seed
- Spicy foods may help to clear the sinuses
- Include pro-biotics to make sure your good bacteria in your stomach is healthy- find this in yogurt, mainly
- Add garlic, a natural anti-histamine, to your diet
- Include vitamin C in foods to boost your immunity. Citrus foods (oranges, grapefruit) are a high source of vitamin C.
- Avoid foods with protein similar to those in pollen (called profilins) if you have a pollen allergy. These foods include apples, kiwis, prunes, pears, carrots, amonds
- Wear sunglasses when outside
- While at home close your windows to avoid pollen from coming into your home
- And lastly, save your outdoor exercise for later in the afternoon when the pollen count is lower
About Leslie Goldstein, RD
Leslie Goldstein is a Registered Dietitian (RD) practicing in North Bergen and Hoboken, New Jersey. Leslie is an avid exerciser who combines her nutrition knowledge and passion with motivational support in counseling to help her clients make lifestyle changes. Leslie specializes in weight management, general wellness, Diabetes, bariatric surgery, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. Leslie accepts most major insurances. www.healthystepnutrition.com 8100 Kennedy Blvd. North Bergen, NJ 07047 Ph: 201-378-3287 Email: LeslieGoldsteinRD@gmail.com