Hoboken Week in Review: 10/2/2011
Weekly Recap for Hoboken, NJ – October 2nd, 2011
2,000 Day Anniversary for Hoboken411!
Today marks the 2,000 Day Anniversary since Hoboken411.com was “officially” launched back in 2006.
Things have certainly come and gone around Hoboken – but 411 somehow keeps getting stronger every month! The same may not be true for me physically, however (Any tips on motivating yourself to get to the gym?)
I still can’t believe that I’ve managed this site for so long while maintaining sanity. 2,880,000 minutes! (or 48,000 consecutive episodes of “60 Minutes.”)
Anyway – onwards to the next 2,000 days!
Enjoy the day!
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, October 2, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- HUMC Headache Continues – It wouldn’t be so complicated and fraught with controversy, if it was handled properly in the first place!
- Shift Differential for Night Cops? – Should Hoboken Police who work the dangerous midnight shifts get paid more?
- Letter: Vile City Employees – Some local residents feel that behavior by certain city employees is uncalled for!
- Picardo Tear Down? – Scaffolding seen outside of former tax-collector’s home – with a pending tear-down order in effect.
- Collapsing Waterfront Update – Construction in progress to rehabilitate the sinking Hudson River Walkway.
- Is Hoboken too Noisy for you? – Many residents lose sleep over the ruckus that takes place on city streets at all hours.
Business Updates & Events
- Hoboken Farmboy – Doomed by $108,000 rent increase. Insanity!
- Halloween Superstores – Open now! (PS – I’m dressing as myself this year. Scary!)
- Digable Arts Festival – The one annual Independent Hoboken Arts Show you should NOT miss!
- Gallery 1200 – Speaking of arts – a new gallery opens uptown TODAY!
- Cartridge World – For Sale. A good franchise opportunity – could be yours!
- God of Carnage – Hoboken Theatrical Production starts THIS WEEK!
- RACE – Jersey City Theatrical Production also starts THIS WEEK!
Today in History
- 1931: The George Washington Bridge turns 80 years old today. Amazing!
- Born 1965: Model / Actress Cindy Margolis turns 45 years old today.
- Died 2007: Olympic Gold Medalist Al Oerter.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Consistency is found in that work whose whole and detail are suitable to the occasion. It arises from circumstance, custom, and nature.”