Hoboken Week in Review: 9/4/2011
Weekly Recap for Hoboken, NJ – September 4, 2011
There was no Hoboken Week in Review last week because Hurricane Irene dominated the news across the board. Hoboken411 led the way once again with coverage three days before any other media even knew the meaning of “outer band” and “storm surge.”
If “traditional” Hoboken updates are more your style – read on, and enjoy the rest of your Labor Day weekend!
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, September 4, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- Not only hurricanes, but EARTHQUAKES too! – The last two weeks not only included Irene, but an earthquake to be named later…
- Doggie la-la land – The new dog run that will be built under that viaduct will be far removed from society.
- Crisis Glomming – I predicted a marketing blitz from the earthquake, but the hurricane took center stage.
- Pumped full of HOT AIR! – Politicians are riding the “sound bite wave” saying that that dopey pump will save the world. However, they forget what they said years ago, that no pumps will prevent the flooding like we’ve had. Whooops!
- Collecting your dues – The former tax-collector isn’t making much progress saving his home addition which was deemed illegal.
- Toxic Pier – Residents are concerned with the chemical smell coming from the 14th Street Pier.
Hoboken Crime & Incidents
- High as a kite hurricane idiots – Hoboken Police arrested two dopes (literally), who went for a swim in the middle of a hurricane.
- Blotter Updates – See the Hoboken Police Blotter category to get first dibs on Mile Square crimes, fires and other incidents.
Business Updates & Events
- Johnny Pepperoni – New Italian Restaurant reviewed.
- Halloween is less than 2 months away! – Two pop up stores to open soon for your costume and decoration needs.
- Anthropologie – A big-box store might threaten unique Hoboken boutiques.
- Office Depot – A big-box store might threaten the charm and character of Hoboken.
- Barber Biker Babe – A barber-babe may threaten other hair-stylists in Hoboken.
- Hoboken Photographs – See the many new entries for the Photo of the Day series.
Today in History
- 1998: GOOGLE was founded on this day – just seven years before Hoboken411!
- Born 1981: Beyoncé turns a whopping 30 years old today. Seems like she’s been in the spotlight that long!
- Dwarf Deaths: Not a good day for little guys. Hervé Villechaize (“Tattoo” from Fantasy Island) died in 1993, and Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf (of Howard Stern fame) died in 2001.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Mishaps are like knives, that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or the handle.”