Hoboken Week in Review: 7/17/2011
Dog Days of Hoboken Summer
Don’t forget to care for the elderly as the brutal summer heat bears down on Hoboken!
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, July 17, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- FAIL: Promised Property Tax Relief NOT delivered – Certain Hoboken Council members (and the mayor) PROMISED “detailed plans” for 25%+ tax reductions over two years ago. That never happened, so they failed to live up to expectations. You voted them in!
- Banning Kids? – A growing trend nationwide: Restaurants banning children under certain ages. Should that happen in Hoboken?
- Illiterate Pedestrians – Hoboken cyclists complain about the kids and other mindless idiots that get in the way of bike riders near the waterfront.
- Sad Hoboken Waterfront – Despite any minuscule progress the city has made – the Mile Square waterfront has been a massive disgrace over the past few years. Telling the city they’re doing a good job is like patting some cashier on the back for giving you the proper change.
- Recycle This! – Hoboken seems to have their priorities backwards. All sorts of recycling bins rolled out, but we still don’t have enough spots for ordinary trash!
- 1600 Park / Weehawken Cove – Speaking of the waterfront, do you think construction uptown will be complete in 60 days like the city promised?
Hoboken Crime & Incidents
- More Stolen Picassos! – You know resident Mark Lugo who swiped an expensive piece of art in San Fran, and was arrested? He got more charges added to his rap sheet as police found another $500,000 worth of nicked artwork in his Hoboken apartment.
- Gilligan’s Island in Hoboken – Residents wonder what that shipwreck in the Hudson River is on the north side of town.
- Cell Phone Perverts – Hoboken ladies get uneasy feelings when they see creeps on the waterfront filming them exercise.
- Rush Hour 5k Runs – worth it? – The weekday 5k charity runs disrupt the regular goings on in Hoboken – and some think the races should be moved to the weekend.
- Blotter Updates – See the Hoboken Police Blotter category to get first dibs on Mile Square crimes, fires and other incidents.
Business Updates & Events
- Pilsener Haus & Biergarten – Set to open up in about TWO WEEKS! Hooray!
- St. Ann’s Italian Festival – Starts this week.
- Applegate Farm – Brings fresh ice cream to uptown residents and visitors.
- Hudson County Hell’s Kitchen – Local area residents featured on National TV cooking competition.
- Beer Olympics – Village Pourhouse embraces drinking games this coming weekend.
- Early AM Yoga – A new yoga class that will have you dripping wet.
- Puerto Spain adds outdoor bar – Uptown Spanish restaurant upgrades their outdoor seating area.
- Idle Minds – Business must be slow for some – as grown men make a full-time job of riding their bikes around in full costume in the middle of the summer.
- Hoboken Photographs – See the new entries for the Photo of the Day series.
- Weekend Movies – Clearview Cinemas movie times and movie preview!