Hoboken Week in Review: 7/3/2011
Patriotic Hoboken Summer!
Just because it’s a slow summer, doesn’t mean you have to be bored! We got the Macy’s Fireworks Spectacular (and you can even take a cruise!), Uptown Farmers Markets and Downtown Farmers Markets, and even a Pupie Party! This summer rocks!
A selection of noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, July 3, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- HUMC Mystery – Critics of how Hoboken is handling the “sale” of the hospital say everything has been done under the veil of secrecy.
- Board of Hate-ucation – Vile, angry people are dismantling what is good about the Hoboken School system.
- SWAT-BUCKS – The city shells out $2 million smackeroos to settle the police discrimination case.
- City Thievery – Hoboken doesn’t seem to want to sustain visitors in this town with the nonsensical parking regulations. Cut off the nose to spite…
- Emergency Lunch – Should police be able to park anywhere in order to have a quick meal?
- Intersecting – What are the worst driving crossroads in Hoboken?
- God Bless America (sans ripped flag) – City allows tattered flag to ungracefully fly for the world to see.
- Stop. Go. Stop. Stop. Stop. – City traffic lights blow in some areas. It’s about time someone does their job and makes amends.
- Bollards! – Many residents feel those wacky orange sticks are placed in the absolute wrong locations, making it even less safe for everyone.
Business Updates & Events
- Hertz on Demand – A new name for the same car rental program.
- St. Joseph’s Pediatric Center – A new place for moms and babies coming soon! HUMC is no doubt nervous about this!
- 1 Republik – da best! – You want a rockin’ grilled cheese in Hoboken? You found your place.
- Park & Sixth GONE! – Why must the good shops in Hoboken close down?
- Hoboken Cigars – Opens up a new shop on the west side of town…
- Pita Grill – Renovates again to maintain competitiveness…
- Hoboken Photographs – See the new entries for the Photo of the Day series.
- Weekend Movies – Clearview movie times plus a “double feature” movie preview!
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“One of the consequences of such notions as “entitlements” is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”