Hoboken Week in Review: 5/1/2011
Get out and enjoy the day, Hoboken!
Today’s big event is the Spring Arts & Music Festival – and regardless if you go – be sure to get outside today – the weather is wonderful!
Some of the most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, May 1, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- Morally Bankrupt? – City Council Candidate Tom Greaney’s sketchy past – EXPOSED!
- Board of Ed Sweep – The “Independents” swept Kids First candidates to the curb.
- Vote By Mail – Participating in Hoboken elections is easy and convenient for everyone!
- City Council 2011 – Less than two weeks to go before political mud-slinging reaches it’s apex!
- Let’s talk about crime – Community leaders talk to residents about the uptick in crime.
- Sinkhole Update – A look at the progress being made on the road collapse on Sinatra Drive.
Crime and Incidents
- Blotter Updates – See the Hoboken Police Blotter category to get first dibs on Mile Square crimes, fires and other incidents.
- Serenity Boutique – Hoboken’s newest retail fashion store set to open this month!
- William Howard Home – Moves to the Avenue, and…
- Hoboken Hothouse – Comes to Hoboken from NYC – and shares space with William Howard Home
- Ayame Hibachi – Hoboken’s only Hibachi Grill opens up. It’s tiny inside, though…
- Gold Wireless – Pay as you go Boost Wireless – plus they buy gold for real!
- Energy Kitchen – Because they call them “healthy” and they have nice pictures – is it any good?
- Montessori School – Hoboken’s latest “school” holds an open house this weekend…
- The Stone Hut – Another new (and unique) jewelry shop opens this month near 11th & Washington.
- Hoboken Arts & Music Festival – TODAY!
- Shakti Vinyasa Yoga – New workshops added at the Monroe Center.
- Swing “fore” the schools – Charity Golf Outing this week – you can still sign up!
- Classic Movies – Old School flix shown every Thursday at Hoboken Cinemas.
- Before Netflix – Clearview Cinemas shows movies even during the day. Amazing!
Other Hoboken Updates
- Hoboken Falafel – Vote for your favorite (and learn more about falafel as well!)
- Windshield Porn – A Union City lounge advertises bulbous butt cheeks in Hoboken.
- Bar crawl to pay for… – Ticket received while drinking!
- Lunch Truck Brigade – Warm weather brings out many more dining options in the Mile Square.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of “liberalism,” they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. I no longer need to run as a Presidential Candidate for the Socialist Party. The Democratic Party has adopted our platform.”– Norman Thomas (American socialist, pacifist, and six-time presidential candidate – from 1944!)