Hoboken St. Patty’s Retrospective

3/9/2011:

Some bullet-point tidbits regarding the 2011 Hoboken St. Patrick’s Parade as the hysteria winds down…

Can an annual parade be such a big deal?

Traditions, rituals, celebrations – all fine and dandy.

But why does the annual Hoboken St. Patrick’s Parade create so much drama? We have parades all year. Baby parades. Pet parades. Little League parades. Memorial Day Parades.

However, it’s clear what separates the SPD parade from the rest: alcohol.

The sheer volume of revelers (some who are disrespectful) simply overwhelms the community.

“It’s only one day”

Many visitors and residents enjoy the annual party. And since moving to Hoboken in the 90’s – have partaken many times myself. But as you gain experience, you tend to appreciate the finer things in life more. And being jammed like sardines in a loud crowded bar is something that loses it’s appeal eventually.

My guess is that they enjoy it because everyone else is doing it? They get to wear green? Better chance to score with an inebriated person?

Those that wish the annual party continue in Hoboken often use excuses – most often being “hey, it’s only one day!” But think of this – if you had to get painful tooth surgery once a year – you’d sing a different tune despite it being “only one day.”

You can party and drink with friends any time

Part of the “it’s only one day” theory that loses its strength is the fact that there are 364 other days of the year you can drink, gather with friends – and hey – even have a party yourself! Hoboken doesn’t shut down and invoke prohibition on those days. You’re free to do what you want.

I just don’t understand why people “look forward” to something they can do anytime!

Maybe if it was a tropical locale, or if a truly special and unique moment transpired – but I just don’t get the logic.

House parties are not regulated

Yankee Stadium serves alcohol and seats over 50,000 people. Giants Stadium seats over 80,000 fans. Yet because of the controlled nature of the environment (security, limited alcohol serving times, etc) – they can keep the % of rowdiness much lower than the city of Hoboken can. Part of that reason is (despite the “tailgating” that takes place before the game) – is because of the smaller area. You can fit more than 25 Giant Stadiums inside Hoboken.

The same number of partiers – spread out over a mile square – and without oversight or regulation (other than neighbors calling HPD) – things are bound to have a better chance of spiraling out of control.

As population grows – so should police & fire departments

Another aspect that adds to the challenge of a mile square drinking contest – is the fact that our city has grown tremendously. A 30% increase over the past 10 years.

More apartments, more people, more problems. While the HPD only issued about 300 summonses this year (as opposed to over 500 last year) – many officers who Hoboken411 spoke with – some with decades in the department – said this year was the most “violent” yet. Even the fire department had objects hurled at them. They were clearly outnumbered – and testament to the fact that our city is understaffed (at least for events like this).

Watch what the other hand is doing…

As Hoboken411 told you yesterday – the Mayor announced that the Hoboken St. Patrick’s Parade will take place on a Wednesday in 2012.

The buzz I’m hearing on the streets is that this “announcement” may have been made to earn points for her allies in the upcoming City Council election in May – and that no one should be surprised if they tout a brilliant “new plan” at the last minute to allow the parade to take place on a Saturday anyway. So keep your eyes on what the other hand is doing behind the scenes, and take all promises with a grain of salt until you see the outcome with your own eyes.

Revenue & Hate

Some people out there have the audacity to say that Hoboken411 hates this city. Far from the truth. If you read 411 on a daily basis (and for the past 5 years online) – you’ll see a wide range of topics. Business information, reviews, historical facts, gorgeous photos, helpful contributors, charitable causes, things for parents and families, various events throughout the year and much much more (besides the myriad of exclusives!) And I’m not even counting the thousands of interactions I’ve had with residents behind the scenes – just like I how helped one resident save his car from flooding the other day. I’m too busy being a positive asset to the Mile Square to have time to hate anything!

Because Hoboken411 told the truth about exactly what happened doesn’t imply a hatred of Hoboken. Those were just the stats – don’t shoot the statistician!

Lastly – one “bar owner” signed up to comment with an anonymous email account yesterday. I wanted him to represent himself and his particular business straight up – but he didn’t respond to my emails. He said:

“I hope everyone complaining is happy. This day change will force me to raise my prices across the board once the summer is over and I’m sure those same people will have something to say about that. St. Patty’s day revenue gets me through the extremely slow Hoboken summer when many residents leave town and it’s establishments behind. If any of you didn’t notice, we are in a heavy recession and I personally have seen business drop 45% over the last year. I hope everyone is happy that the city allowed such a small percentage of rowdy people to ruin the entire day for thousands of people and countless local establishments.

Many of these out of control drunks come to town wasted, get inebriated at local residential house parties, or travel with their alcohol. I didn’t have ONE SINGLE INCIDENT at my bar and know plenty others that did an equally fine job thanks to stellar in-house security, capacity control and denying entry to those intoxicated. Hats off to my fellow bar owners and my condolences to those that will be negatively affected by the day change. It seems like people care more about what happens to their bushes and hallways in 24 hours then the problem I am having paying my kids college tuition the entire year.

I know exactly what kind of response I will get making this post so start throwing your insults and opinions my way. I am ready and will surely find many of them either amusing or delusional.”

What would you do if you were in charge of this annual event?

40 Comments on "Hoboken St. Patty’s Retrospective"

Member
4 years 5 months ago

Member
HomeTeam
4 years 5 months ago

Well said!

Seems that this bar owner thinks price gouging is the actual key to running a good business. Hopefully the person who buys your liquor license will do a better job.[quote comment=”204248″]“I hope everyone complaining is happy. This day change will force me to raise my prices across the board once the summer is over”Ooooooooooh, I’m soooo scared of your pricing threat. If you can’t operate a profitable business without the profits from a single day then you don’t deserve to be in business. Go ahead and raise your prices but remember you have to actually compete for business the other 364 days of the years with 100 other establishments.[/quote]

Member
Town Drunk
4 years 5 months ago

Umm, exactly. I am far more concerned with the quality of life in the town that I call home than I am with the price of a stranger’s kids’ college bills. Sorry man, if you can’t pay your bills because the mayor isn’t creating an opportunity to charge a $40 cover and $10 a beer, then is appears that you aren’t as savvy a business man as you would like to believe.

Member
Bornandpraised
4 years 5 months ago

If most of the bar owners in town are like this guy, I feel less bad about the parade being moved than I did, and I didn’t think that possible. What an entitled, whiny tirade.

Every other business in the city and country is struggling with the same recession you are. If you are unable to profitably run a bar in Hoboken, there are literally hundreds of people looking to buy your liquor license.

And unless you are personally willing to clean up and repair the damage done to my property every year by this “one day a year,” then, yes, I do care more about the damage done in that one day than how an incompetent businessman puts his children through college.

Member
4 years 5 months ago

Member
mooshu
4 years 5 months ago

I do. St. Patrick’s day is much more fun in the city, so that’s where I’ll probably be.[quote comment=”204258″]Next year actual St. Patrick’s Day is on a Saturday, so I don’t expect anything to be that much different.[/quote]

Member
Hoboken17
4 years 5 months ago

Member
pawzclawz
4 years 5 months ago

Well Done![quote comment=”204259″]Everyone who supports Hoboken’s St Paddy’s Day madness has talked about how much money is made on this day yet its always in very vague terms like “tons of money will be lost if we cancel it”. Well, as a bar owner please define “tons of money” to everyone because we would all love to see what the massive economic impact of this day really is. But before you give us your bottom line number from selling drinks and charging exorbitant cover charges, I would like you to please take into the account the various other expenses the city pays for like extra security, extra police, extra ems, clean up crews, cost of damage repairs, etc. Also, i would like you to deduct the opportunity cost of the non-food & beverage businesses whose revenues on this day are significantly reduced or are zero because they have to close up shop altogether. Next, please tell us how much of your St Paddy’s Day profits go to the city to help offset these costs. Then, and only then, can we have a real discussion about this event that has gradually spiraled out of control.The anonymous (self-centered) bar owner mentions how well behaved people were at his bar. That’s great. You are able to pay for extra security with your piles of money to keep people in line and like you said, you turn away the ones who are too drunk. Guess what doosh? Those idiots who are too drunk to enter your bar now start roaming the streets and they’re pissed off because you wouldnt let them in. You have the option of not making the drunken idiots your problem but then you piss them off and you make them our problem. So once they leave or are turned away from your bar they decide to throw bricks through our windows, piss on our buildings, harass residents who daringly walk on their own streets, throw garbage wherever they want, steal things, assault other people, and pass out in our lobbies. So tell us again….what’s in it for us residents? We dont make a dime, most of us are held hostage in our apartments or leave the town for the weekend, we get to clean up after all of the animals, we get to pay for damages done to our buildings, and then some who stay in town get to pay for security out of their own pockets just to keep their buildings safe. And if you’re as lucky as i was, you got to watch two husky men engage in what appeared to be their first same-sex kiss, in between bites of the sandwich they were selling. Sounds like an awesome deal for us! We should do this more often!“It seems like people care more about what happens to their bushes and hallways in 24 hours then the problem I am having paying my kids college tuition the entire year.” Yes, because we do not profit from this day yet we get to pay for anything that happens to our bushes and hallways. So why is it ok to take money from our pockets in the middle of this recession when it could be going to our children’s education but when we try to take money out of yours it’s a crime?Finally, if you havent noticed already, we are all in the same recession as you are buddy. Everyone’s businesses are affected by this downturn so why dont you put your little violin away and deal with it the best that you can…..just like the rest of us are. Go ahead with your silly threat to raise prices. Bottom line is, if people like your bar they’ll pay up for their drinks. But if not, dont let the door hit you in the ass. Simple as that. I hope you find that amusing cuz i’ll laugh you all the way out of town.[/quote]

Member
xxrjxx
4 years 5 months ago

That about sums it up…. ❗ [quote comment=”204261″]Well Done![/quote]

Member
xxrjxx
4 years 5 months ago

By the way, that was to Hoboken17[quote comment=”204275″]That about sums it up…. [/quote]

Member
QJ201
4 years 5 months ago

Brilliant retort!

Next step: Shame the selfish who had an out of control house party and disrespected their neighbors.

Yeah no damage in my building, but the hosts didn’t monitor their guests and the hallways was filled with bottles and cups.

this is what blogs are for. If there was an out of control party in your building, rental or condo we can start by making sure your “neighbors” don’t disrespect you again.

We can start by listing their names and addresses![quote comment=”204259″]Everyone who supports Hoboken’s St Paddy’s Day madness has talked about how much money is made on this day yet its always in very vague terms like “tons of money will be lost if we cancel it”. Well, as a bar owner please define “tons of money” to everyone because we would all love to see what the massive economic impact of this day really is. But before you give us your bottom line number from selling drinks and charging exorbitant cover charges, I would like you to please take into the account the various other expenses the city pays for like extra security, extra police, extra ems, clean up crews, cost of damage repairs, etc. Also, i would like you to deduct the opportunity cost of the non-food & beverage businesses whose revenues on this day are significantly reduced or are zero because they have to close up shop altogether. Next, please tell us how much of your St Paddy’s Day profits go to the city to help offset these costs. Then, and only then, can we have a real discussion about this event that has gradually spiraled out of control.The anonymous (self-centered) bar owner mentions how well behaved people were at his bar. That’s great. You are able to pay for extra security with your piles of money to keep people in line and like you said, you turn away the ones who are too drunk. Guess what doosh? Those idiots who are too drunk to enter your bar now start roaming the streets and they’re pissed off because you wouldnt let them in. You have the option of not making the drunken idiots your problem but then you piss them off and you make them our problem. So once they leave or are turned away from your bar they decide to throw bricks through our windows, piss on our buildings, harass residents who daringly walk on their own streets, throw garbage wherever they want, steal things, assault other people, and pass out in our lobbies. So tell us again….what’s in it for us residents? We dont make a dime, most of us are held hostage in our apartments or leave the town for the weekend, we get to clean up after all of the animals, we get to pay for damages done to our buildings, and then some who stay in town get to pay for security out of their own pockets just to keep their buildings safe. And if you’re as lucky as i was, you got to watch two husky men engage in what appeared to be their first same-sex kiss, in between bites of the sandwich they were selling. Sounds like an awesome deal for us! We should do this more often!“It seems like people care more about what happens to their bushes and hallways in 24 hours then the problem I am having paying my kids college tuition the entire year.” Yes, because we do not profit from this day yet we get to pay for anything that happens to our bushes and hallways. So why is it ok to take money from our pockets in the middle of this recession when it could be going to our children’s education but when we try to take money out of yours it’s a crime?Finally, if you havent noticed already, we are all in the same recession as you are buddy. Everyone’s businesses are affected by this downturn so why dont you put your little violin away and deal with it the best that you can…..just like the rest of us are. Go ahead with your silly threat to raise prices. Bottom line is, if people like your bar they’ll pay up for their drinks. But if not, dont let the door hit you in the ass. Simple as that. I hope you find that amusing cuz i’ll laugh you all the way out of town.[/quote]