Hoboken Week in Review: 2/20/2011
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, February 20, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- Zimmer Violates Public Contracting Law – State Comptroller steps in to oversee Dawn Zimmer’s Public Contracts, finds City in violation of Public Contracting Laws
- HUMC Update – Shady goings on at the Hoboken Hospital. Some transparent government we have!
- Hoboken Pay to Play – Making it harder for developers and special interests to sway politics.
- Rent Control – The tenant / landlord debate rages on.
- Zimmer’s lack of ethics – The city administration tries to change the rules for their benefit only.
- Ramos Schools Bhalla – Nope, not the name of a new band – but NJ State Assemblyman Ruben Ramos putting unethical and contradicting city Councilman Ravi Bhalla in his place.
- Hoboken Robs Residents – The city kept issuing tickets – despite not street cleaning. Sick.
- Crumbling Piers – Wear a life preserver when walking along the Hudson in Hoboken.
- Hoboken vandalizes your car – And charges you for it!
Crime and Incidents
- Blotter Updates – See the Hoboken Police Blotter category to peruse some of the noteworthy incidents in the Mile Square.
Business & Events
- Harvest Cuisine – Now open! See menu.
- Brass Rail – Mediocre review for what should be slam dunk menu items.
- Joey’s BBQ – Is for sale – to the right BBQ enthusiast.
- Cork City – Is the new name for the same bar that was previously called Duffy’s.
- Hoboken Masters – Is the new name for the swim team up at Stevens Institute.
- Chock Full of Nuts – Is also for sale – if you want to struggle to earn a living.
- Bix Realty – Moved to 2nd and Bloomfield.
- DeRuggiero Realtors – Moving out of 59 Washington Street.
- Win BIG! – Support a great school – and have a chance to win mad cash in the 2011 Stevens Cooperative 50/50 Raffle.
- Action! – Have no plans today? Catch a flick at Clearview Cinemas.
- Rocky Horror – Last week for the well reviewed musical at The Monroe Center.
Other Hoboken Updates
- Hobroken! – The latest Hoboken cartoon courtesy of Ricardo Roig!
- Ultimate Wedding – Help Hoboken Couples win the $100,000 grand prize at Crate & Barrel.
- Sasha Vujacic – Hoboken’s latest semi-celebrity – who plays for the NJ Nets.
- Kardashian – Kim Kardashian will be making regular appearances in the Mile Square.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived and dishonest – but the myth – persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.”– John F. Kennedy