Hoboken Week in Review: 1/30/2011
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, January 30, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- All snowed out! – Mother Nature is really turning up the snow machine on the northeast this year. Perhaps a slap in the face for the global warming zealots? Plus:
- Traffic Relief? – 4th Ward Councilman Occhipinti makes an effort to improve traffic congestion issues downtown.
- City Desperate? – The genius prescription drug savings program recently announced by the city sounds like they’re grasping at straws these days.
- Acting Mayor – Dawn Zimmer finds time to critique Cake Boss Reality Show cakes – in the middle of the day!
Crime and Incidents
- Sparky Fire – An electrical fire damaged the building at 901 Willow. HFD did a great job once again.
- Blotter Updates – Many headaches due to the storm made it to the Hoboken Police Blotter category.
- TWITTER – Some local crimes and incidents are reported *as they happen* here on Hoboken411 – follow that Twitter link to be tuned in for all of them!
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to find out what those sirens are for! 99.9% of the time you’ll be let down – but that’s a good thing!
Business & Events
- Chop! Block! Kick Ass! – Are you a lady in need of self-defense skills? Today’s your chance at Renzo Gracie Jujitsu – only $25.
- Harvest Time! – Wild Ginger gone. Harvest Cuisine en route. Will the new eatery crack the code that has plagued 518 Washington for years?
- Mediocrity getting old? – Initial impressions of the (new) Old German Bakery are luke-warm.
- Bummer! – LUA closed indefinitely due to the shoddy roadway they’re next to.
- FREE! – An order of Fresh Pommes Frites is on the house. Click to print the coupon!
- Strumming! – The second Guitar Bar location opened up this year.
- Coming… – Black Tea Optional has been forever “coming soon.”
- Updates – A few minor updates to the Hoboken411 Directory.
- Third Time’s a Charm! – Same exact five movies playing AGAIN this weekend at Clearview Cinemas. Today’s a perfect day to suffer from 3D glasses-induced headaches and seizures!
Other Hoboken Updates
- Hoboken Crosswalk – Through the eyes of local artist Ricardo Roig.
- Quality of Life – Can you find contentment in the Mile Square?
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“All great change in America begins at the dinner table.”– Ronald Reagan