Hoboken Week in Review: 1/23/2011
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, January 23, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- MILLIONS! – Not talking about the lottery jackpot – but rather the oodles of cash they say it’ll cost to fix the waterfront. Roads should be fixed before recreation. You taxes will never go down again!
- Finger Pointing – Hoboken Parking Utility botches a simple permit renewal. Maybe if they didn’t have a tiered pricing program to RIP RESIDENTS OFF – they could have avoided this embarrassing debacle.
- Bus Misery – The NJ Transit 126 Bus Line wouldn’t win any popularity contests in Hoboken.
- Classless Council – Oh brother. It’s getting painful to watch Hoboken City Council meetings these days, because the Zimmer “minority” is highly bitter, angry and most obviously unprofessional in the way they conduct business. Such a shame.
- Got Gas? – Debate on whether having a massive (highly explosive) natural gas line close to Hoboken can be stopped.
- White Stuff – How’d you like our fresh coat of snow?
Crime and Incidents
- Blotter Updates – No super-major incidents this week – but see all the other nonsense in the Hoboken Police Blotter category to peruse some of the noteworthy incidents in the Mile Square.
- TWITTER – Many local crimes and incidents are reported *as they happen* here on Hoboken411 – follow that Twitter link to be tuned in for all of them!
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to find out what those sirens are for! 99.9% of the time you’ll be let down – but that’s a good thing!
Business & Events
- W-I-N Win! Win! Win! – Pick the score of today’s Jets vs. Steelers game and eat for free at Wicked Wolf Tavern!
- Wild Ripoff? – The “all you can eat” program at a local sushi joint give you indigestion.
- Cake Boss Parmigiana – The Cake Boss family is opening an Italian Restaurant. Wanna bet they only have Carlo’s Bakery desserts?
- Want sauce with that? – Print a coupon to get free dipping sauce at Fresh Pommes Frites. Expires today!
- Tasty! – The Buffalo Chicken pie at Pizza Republic is a winner!
- New! – The long awaited Walgreens. Is your life complete yet?
- What else? – A bunch of other Hoboken411 business updates took place this week. Man, I work hard!
- Again! – Same exact five movies playing this weekend at Clearview Cinemas. It’s cold out – why not cozy up with some gloppy buttered popcorn?
Other Hoboken Updates
- Hired yet? – Jobless Josh back with another update about unemployed life in Hoboken.
- Pet Haters! – Many residents think apartments in Hoboken have silly pet policies. What’s the big deal?
- BUBBLE! – An interesting look back at a real estate article from almost 4 years ago. My, how times have changed!
- Double Dose – More fun entries to the “Two Words” photo category.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
The way people in democracies think of the government as something different from themselves is a real handicap. And, of course, sometimes the government confirms their opinion.”– Lewis Mumford