Hoboken Week in Review: 1/16/2011
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, January 16, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- Regular Snow Storm – We had an average snow event last week, and the city did their job (for the most part.) Kudos to the Hoboken Police Department – who carried pretty much all the weight.
- Council Asylum – An emergency meeting last week to allow the city to continue spending money before officially adopting a budget. Again, much divisiveness amongst both city officials and members of the public.
- Board of Ed – Nearly 60 million bucks is spent annually for our school system. Many residents I’ve spoken to truly believe there’s some witchcraft taking place behind closed doors. We’ll find out soon enough, right?
- Water Main Epidemic – Another hot streak if you were betting FOR the water main breaks in Hoboken. I think we had four in five days – including that gusher on Willow Ave!
Crime and Incidents
- Obama inspires vandalism – Another round of “Obama please help” defacing of other people’s property…
- Blotter Updates – Check the Hoboken Police Blotter category to peruse some of the noteworthy incidents in the Mile Square. Some are now updated live throughout the day!
- TWITTER – Many local crimes and incidents are reported *as they happen* here at Hoboken411 – but you need to follow that Twitter link to be tuned in for all of them!
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to find out what those sirens are for!
Business & Events
- Hoboken Montessori School – A new “early childhood” school is opening on 14th Street this year, and is expected to hold their first classes in the fall.
- Realtors on every block: Why? – Do real estate offices really need retail space? Why not just an office?
Other Hoboken Updates
- SAY I DO! – Cute video of a Hoboken couple getting engaged on a snowy uptown pier.
- Refresh! – Updated entries from the following new Hoboken411 features:
- Hey Delicious! – Anna talks about sweets and Valentine’s Day in Hoboken.
- Hobroken – Ricardo notices the infiltration of digital devices in what should be quiet, intimate moments!
- A Love Affair – Lara roots for the NY Jets, loves the tri-state area, and even pizza!
- Coach! – Ethan responds to Jobless Josh about the employment situation.
- TWO WORDS! – A new Hoboken411 Photographic feature debuted last week with 5 entries. Fun times.
- Groupon-a-holic? – The Groupon social deal site may get customers buying heavily discounted items – but is it good for the business in the long run?
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”– T.E. Lawrence