Jersey Cares MLK Day of Service
They have another event coming up this month in New Jersey – so read on if you’re interested in a charitable cause to donate your time.
3rd Annual Martin Luther Kind Day of Service
The 3rd Annual Martin Luther King Day of Service will mobilize 2,000 volunteers in 15 New Jersey counties in over 40 service projects, including one 500 volunteer public school revitalization project at Dr. Michael Conti School, P.S. 5 in Jersey City. Volunteers throughout New Jersey hope to embody Dr. King’s vision and bring people of all ages and backgrounds together to strengthen their community and bridge social barriers. At The 3rd Annual Martin Luther King Day of Service, volunteers will honor Dr. King’s legacy while displaying their own leadership skills as they paint murals, assemble First Night Kits, conduct creative writing workshops, create “I Have a Dream” mobiles and peace bingo cards, build seats for social justice using picnic tables and benches, serve hot meals, spend time with seniors, and sort donations.
How to register and Event Details:
Register on www.jerseycares.org. Both teams and individuals are welcome to participate and volunteers ages 4+ are welcome. Advance registration is required to participate.
- Martin Luther King Day of Service will be held on Monday, January 17, 2011.
- Projects will take place at sites throughout the state (Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Union counties) including one large (500 slots) project at Dr. Michael Conti School, P.S. 5 in Jersey City.
- Project times vary and are posted online.
- All volunteer projects are indoors however, due to the time of year, please check the Jersey Cares website in the event of inclement weather.
- Volunteers should wear clothes they would not mind getting dirty.
- Volunteers ages 4+ are welcome to participate at select sites. Some sites have different age limits – please check before registering. Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a youth waiver signed by their parent or guardian in order to participate.
Find out more about what kind of Volunteer Projects there are – after the jump!
Jersey Cares Volunteer Projects
Volunteer are needed for the following activities:
- Painting Murals (murals sketched in advance)
- Creating Mobile Gardens
- Painting Planter Murals and Earth Boxes (murals sketched in advance)
- Assembling First Night Kits
- Conducting Creative Writing Workshops
- Creating “I Have a Dream” Mobiles and Peace Bingo Cards
- Building Seats for Social Justice using picnic tables
- Serving Hot Meals
- Spending Time with Seniors
- Sorting Donations
Note: This is a sampling of projects throughout the state. All projects will not occur at all sites. For a complete list of projects available, please see www.jerseycares.org
About Dr. Michael Conti School, P.S. 5
The motto of Dr. Michael Conti School, P.S. 5 is “We believe we can achieve.” Their mission is to ensure all children have equal access to all educational opportunities. With the belief that all children can learn, P.S. 5 provides a nurturing environment whereby all children can grow, enhance their self-worth, and succeed academically. They value close ties between children, staff, parents and the community. Thus, they cultivate an environment for teaching and learning that is positive, productive, and collaborative. 61% of students at P.S. 5 are eligible for free lunch and 15% eligible for reduced lunch.
About Jersey Cares
Jersey Cares is a dynamic nonprofit organization that works to meet community needs by making volunteering in New Jersey easy and meaningful. Jersey Cares works directly with local nonprofit organizations and schools to identify their needs and then trains volunteer leaders to manage projects that address those needs. Since the organization’s inception, our volunteers have provided thousands of hours of service to New Jersey’s communities, including tutoring youngsters with access to few resources, reaching out to isolated seniors, working with the mentally and physically challenged, restoring the environment and, assisting children with their schoolwork. By providing meaningful volunteer opportunities, Jersey Cares helps our fellow residents to understand the importance of, and experience the rewards of, community involvement, while making headway against some of our communities’ most intransigent problems. For more information, please visit www.jerseycares.org.