Hoboken Week in Review: 1/2/2011
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, January 2, 2011:
Politics and City Happenings
- Big Hoboken Blizzard – The biggest stories of the week – and all of 2010, was the massive blizzard that swept into town – and how the Mayor failed to keep the city in order. See a cheat sheet of related blizzard stories, photos and videos here.
- Bad idea for Christmas Trees – One Hoboken dog expert says converting old Xmas trees into mulch for a dog park is a terrible idea.
- Holiday Fair FAIL – This year’s Holiday Craft Fair moved to a desolate part of Hoboken – with dismal results. Who can you thank for that brilliant decision?
- Pay Up! – While taxes haven’t been reduced – now the city wants even more of your money to let kids play sports – which has been free for 60 years.
Crime and Incidents
- Uptick in Vandalism – Nefarious activity taking place in areas of Hoboken previously left untouched.
- GPS Brain Block – It’s common sense to remove all traces of GPS units from your car – and Hoboken Police remind you once again.
- TWITTER – Many local crimes and incidents are reported *as they happen* here at Hoboken411 – but you need to follow that Twitter link to be tuned in for all of them!
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to find out what those sirens are for!
Business & Events
- Tasty! – A great video review of the new 1 Republik restaurant!
- Sexy Servers – Tilted Kilt bar & restaurant back on the radar in Hoboken. You might need your GPS to find it, though.
- Hummmmmm – The Hummus Bar was supposed to open last week, but problems with the fire alarm system delayed them.
- West Side Situation – The third Anthony Pino joint didn’t last long at the SkyClub. Was it a bad location or angry neighbors that put an end to that?
- Washington St. Casualty #1 – Roma Salon bid farewell to the Avenue.
- Washington St. Casualty #2 – And aaRaa – the home furnishings store moved inward.
- Surviving? – With all the talk about Blockbuster’s troubles – the Hoboken location seems to make the cut.
- Hoboken 2010 Winners and Losers – See the FULL LIST of businesses that came and went last year in the Mile Square.
Other Hoboken Updates
- Two NEW Hoboken411 Features – Local artist Ricardo Roig contributes the new Hobroken cartoon feature – and relatively new resident and writer Lara Kaplan Hanson has a Love Affair with Hoboken.
- RARE! – First time in hundreds of years – a Lunar Eclipse on the same day as the Winter Solstice. A great photo that includes Hoboken.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Why do they always teach us that it’s easy and evil to do what we want and that we need discipline to restrain ourselves? It’s the hardest thing in the world – to do what we want. And it takes the greatest kind of courage. I mean, what we really want.”– Ayn Rand