Balbos Pizza Closes
Balbo’s closes in Hoboken, NJ; Up next: Sandwich Shop
Just under two years ago, Balbo’s Pizzeria opened in Hoboken with great promise. The food was fantastic.
There was apparently some issues with the original partnership, and the “brains” of the operation decided it wasn’t worth the trouble anymore, and removed himself from the operation. The remaining owners evidently couldn’t continue producing high-caliber food (many residents noticed the decline in quality). So – they sold the business recently.
Word is “experienced” sandwich technicians will be re-opening some time in January or February. Hopefully they’ll succeed. We’ll cover that once they get closer to opening.
Do you miss Balbo’s?
411 Note: Swung by this afternoon for a “real” slice – and the pizza remains out of this world. Also – they do have delivery to some extent now (they don’t have pizza bags yet).
Balbos Pizzeria now open in Hoboken
Quality pizza and more; set to knock Hoboken’s socks off!
Balbo’s Pizzeria is now open (70 Hudson Street) – and I’ll break this down in simple bullet points for you all – but be prepared for some seriously good food – and what may likely be your “go to” pizza place in Hoboken going forward! (see menu below)
Doing Pizza Right in Hoboken
- The Owners of Balbo’s know what they’re doing, they both have extensive experience in the food industry. Many know Michael Gondevas from Ebbitts, Madison, Clinton Social and now owner of The Hamilton Inn in Jersey City. His partner Joey Cioffi – has a huge following from Cioffi’s of Springfield, a family business for over 30 years.
- Everything about this take-out eatery was done top notch. From the no-nonsense construction (Gondevas said “I want Balbo’s to still be in operation in 100 years”) to some of the best quality ingredients: The finest imported tomatoes, freshest Mutz around, and light, airy dough. Hoboken411 (as well as other local businesses) had a few samples yesterday – and we all agreed it was fantastic.
- SEE BALBO’S MENU HERE. Interesting items – including a Truffled Egg Pizza with crispy pancetta, spinach and mozzarella.
- Just pizza for now, and no delivery yet. Balbo’s will swing into full operational mode after the Hoboken St. Patrick’s Parade.
- Easy number to remember too: (201)332-MUTZ (6889)
Swing by Balbo’s and see why you should be excited!
Balbos Pizza to open at 70 Hudson Street
Good news, pizza lovers! Another new pizza restaurant coming to Hoboken in early 2011: Balbo’s Pizzeria.
Taking the place of the former Studio Z Salon at 70 Hudson Street – Balbo’s Pizza is another product of Mike Gondevas, who owns the successful Hamilton Inn bar/restaurant in Jersey City – and had long stints at Ebbitt’s, Madison and Clinton Social.
Mike chose the name Balbo’s – because it was one of the first known pizza places in Hoboken back in the 1940′s (I believe it was at 415 Adams Street).
Expect good things to come from this spot!