Louise & Jerry’s

Louise & Jerry’s set to re-open in Hoboken

Louise & Jerry's Hoboken NJ renovationAlmost two months since closing for renovations, Louise & Jerry’s at 329 Washington Street is almost set to open up again. One day next week, you’ll get to enjoy an ice-cold drink in a comfortable and relatively unpretentious watering hole again.

Some locals were a bit nervous that “L&J’s” would become “tool-infested,” and lose it’s charming Hoboken “dive bar” characteristics. But due to many age-related structural concerns, building codes, and other reasons, it was no-doubt time to spruce the joint up.

With beautiful exposed brick, and a custom-built mahogany bar, L&J’s still has a welcoming feel. A few flat tv’s, an upgraded pool table, energy-efficient LED lighting, improved HVAC are all positive changes to the Hoboken staple which has been part of the community for well over five decades.

Others missed the “old school” CD jukebox, and were concerned with the “web connected” digital player. But apparently you can still request any classic songs to be included in the choices, and bartenders can over-ride the device if some musically-challenged idiot decides to play $20 worth of Katy Perry songs.

Welcome back, L&J’s!

Description: Bar with Juke Box, Pool Table
Address: 329 Washington St, Hoboken, NJ 07030
Telephone: (201) 656-9698

Louise & Jerry’s in Hoboken, NJ renovates

7/28/2014 Update:

Louise & Jerry’s is one of the last remaining “dive bars” in Hoboken. Now they’re under renovation.

Owner Anthony Romano hopes to re-open quickly, but expect this to take until mid- to late-August at least.

Hopefully it remains a dive bar and doesn’t turn into a tool-magnet.

Louise Jerrys Hoboken NJ renovation

Louise Jerrys Hoboken NJ interior renovation

Louise & Jerry’s Review {2006}

Louise and Jerrys.JPG

Louise and Jerry’s is one of the most reliable and straightforward places to drink in Hoboken.
louis and jerrys interior.JPG

People used to complain about the bar being smokey, now people complain that they have to go outside to smoke. Can’t please everyone.

Great place for locals to gather, excellent jukebox with no commercial crap, friendly no-nonsense bar staff.

louise and jerrys bartenders.JPG

You can have a decent conversation with people and it tends not to attract the same wanna-be crowds that some of the other bridge and tunnel bars do. Some spillover occasionally from Nine.

louise and jerrys couple making out.JPG

Some people even make out in this bar!!

Standard bar fun such as pool and a Big Buck Hunter video game to appease the individuals with ADD.

louise and jerrys pool.JPG

Overall it’s a bit small, and the men’s room is very narrow. Not much else to complain about.

One of the best in Hoboken!

71 Comments on "Louise & Jerry’s"

plywood
5 years 10 months ago

it’s all relative albeit inexcusable. Hate to say it but alcohol brings out the worst in people and nothing good happens after midnight.

justaview

When you are sad and lonely and have no place to go
Call me up, sweet baby, and bring along some dough
And well go honky tonkin, honky tonkin
Honky tonkin, honey baby
Well go honky tonkin round this town.

When you and your baby have a fallin out
Just call me up sweet mama and well go steppin out
And well go honky tonkin, honky tonkin
Honky tonkin, honey baby
Well go honky tonkin round this town.

Were goin to the city – to the city fair
If you go to the city then you will find me there
And well go honky tonkin, honky tonkin
Honky tonkin, honey baby
Well go honky tonkin round this town.

lokelyokel
5 years 10 months ago

WTF…what is this a kooky song?

In response to justaview who said:
When you are sad and lonely and have no place to go
Call me up, sweet baby, and bring along some dough
And well go honky tonkin, honky tonkin
Honky tonkin, honey baby
Well go honky tonkin round this town.

When you and your baby have a fallin out
Just call me up sweet mama and well go steppin out
And well go honky tonkin, honky tonkin
Honky tonkin, honey baby
Well go honky tonkin round this town.

Were goin to the city – to the city fair
If you go to the city then you will find me there
And well go honky tonkin, honky tonkin
Honky tonkin, honey baby
Well go honky tonkin round this town.

pawzclawz
5 years 10 months ago

It’s actually a Hank Williams Sr. song.

In response to lokelyokel who said:
WTF…what is this a kooky song?

hobposer
5 years 10 months ago

I rarely carry cash, i guess next time i leave a card with the barmaid, i’ll leave a 10 spot upfront and just say, when you see us empty, fill us up? And maybe me matt furey justaview and plyguy, lets write a book about this and make some mulah

lokelyokel
5 years 10 months ago

Eff it. All this overtipping to get a buyback? Seems to be more expensive than the regular cost of a drink. I’ll just tip regular and end up saving money in the end.

plywood
5 years 10 months ago

And also Furey – do people actually ASK FOR buybacks (your rule 5)?!? That sounds like an obnoxious move – probably counterproductive. I would think the last thing one would want to suggest is an unwillingness to open their wallet.

5 years 10 months ago

Yep! I would get the guy at the end of the bar who would be the 1 in 500 kind of guy and grumble about getting a freebee. Or better yet would be the regulars who would grumble when I gave them their tab saying with a passive agressive comment: “Oh, Johnny (the other bartender fake name I made up) wouldn’t make me pay THIS much. He’s much nicer to me.”

Yep. I would actually get that from regulars when I would do a 1 for 3 buyback rule.

In response to plywood who said:

pawzclawz
5 years 10 months ago

Wow! I just can’t believe that people would be that rude and obnoxious.

In response to Furey who said:

5 years 10 months ago

Well they were regulars, who are sort of a quasi friend / customer that often visits the bar. You want to take care of your regulars, but some bartenders were more “generous” than others. At Dipper’s we had one bartender in particular who was a generous with buybacks to the customers, drew a good crowd and could get away with giving out tabs for $10 to regulars who probably drank $40-50 worth of beer/shots/booze. The regular would pay the $10 tab, tip $20 and everyone was happy. The regular still saved $20 in free drinks, the bartender made a nice tip and the owner gets a recurring crowd of regulars on popular nights (and a crowd draws a crowd in the bar business).

Problem is that then the regulars would get a tab from me for $20 (after drinking, again, $40 worth of booze or so) and gripe about it to another regular – or sometimes straight to my face with a “Johnny takes care of me more” comment (and they usually were drunk when saying this and not necessarily being mean, just a passive aggressive comment they would make hoping that I would be “nicer” to them in the future).

Yes, dumb and petty, and stuff as a bartender you just roll your eyes over.

In response to pawzclawz who said:
Wow! I just can’t believe that people would be that rude and obnoxious.

pawzclawz
5 years 10 months ago

You definately do want to take care of regulars. There’s times when you can’t. You can’t give a buyback. You can’t overpour. The boss may be around. That was rarely the case in Dipper’s. My late boyfriend knew the owner of Dipper’s. He wouldn’t work in Dipper’s. He had an issue with giving regulars more alcohol and a lower tab. He felt he was screwing the owner/friend. In any case expecting and asking for a buyback is IMHO rude,obnoxious,selfish,childish,petty and counterproductive.

In response to Furey who said:

Yes, dumb and petty, and stuff as a bartender you just roll your eyes over.

justaview

Fiction

In response to Furey who said:

5 years 10 months ago

Oh, the days of working at Dipper’s…now Mikie Squared. All facts, buddy.

In response to justaview who said:
Fiction

plywood

barfly’s handbook: “Winning Through Intimidation” – Robert J. Ringer

In response to Furey who said:
Oh, the days of working at Dipper’s…now Mikie Squared. All facts, buddy.