Hoboken Week in Review: 10/24/2010
Another great weekend!
Some might call this upcoming week of unseasonably warm weather “Indian Summer.” Don’t care what you call it – just something to enjoy before the onset of the harsh winter ahead. But before you head out today – catch up on what happened last week in the Mile Square!
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, October 24, 2010:
Politics and City Happenings
- Street Collapse: Week 3 – The man-made street/pier collapse (not a sinkhole) is a seasoned veteran here on the Week in Review. Hudson County expects the repairs to be done before Summer 2011. Hopefully they see all the cracks.
- Lenz List Lengthens Hoboken411 continues piling up facts about (appointed) 4th Ward Councilman and candidate Michael Lenz:
- Lenz milks taxpayers for personal financial gain (NEW!)
- The Lenz connection between no-bid lawyer contracts
- How Lenz got his cushy job in the County despite having zero qualifications
- How the (now convicted) Perth Amboy Mayor illegally funneled money to “operatives” like Lenz in years past
- 4th Ward – Bookmark this link for what you need to know about the special election next month.
- Cablevision headaches – The disgusting mega-million dollar dispute between giant corporations leaves lowly TV viewers as victims…
- Giant Heads are Illegal! – The Hoboken Zoning Board quickly sends out warnings to over-zealous Real Estate agents like Donna Antonucci: Take your obnoxious head signs down!
Crime and Incidents
- People hurt other people – Assaults happen daily in Hoboken. Drunks, homeless, random robberies, kids, anyone.
- Bike Thief – Caught on surveillance camera. Do you recognize this kid?
- TWITTER – Many local crimes and incidents are reported *as they happen* here at Hoboken411 – but you need to follow that Twitter link to be tuned in for all of them!
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to find out what those sirens are for!
Business & Events
- Catch a Movie! – Good weather or not – some of you might want to see a movie today. See what’s playing at Clearview Cinemas.
- Ice Road Trucker – Pays a visit to Hoboken in a 93 foot rig at the Wiley Building.
- Yankees OUT! Phillies OUT! – No repeat for the pinstripe crew. No added revenue burst for local bars & restaurants. We’ll have to wait till next year, sorry!
- Creamy! – Uptown residents thrilled about new Ice Cream shop coming to 14th Street.
- Win an iPad – You just need to attend Wicked Wolf’s Wednesday Trivia nights!
- Ladies Threads – A trendy new clothing shop coming to Washington Street.
- Pour House is a good thing! – Update on the much anticipated new bar/restaurant coming to First Street.
- Third Birthday! – Turning Point turned three this month – and gave away free coffee all day as a thank you to Hoboken residents.
- Wax Spinner – DJ Hepcat brings his unique style to Hoboken Wednesday nights at LUA.
Other Hoboken Updates
- Doggie Getaway – Escape the insanity of Hoboken and get back in touch with nature and your pets
- Halloween 2010 – Check out the Halloween decorations throughout the city.
- Windshield Litter – Fliers go from windshield to sidewalk as residents litter their own backyard.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”– Friedrich Nietzsche